Kitty Needs Food to Take Antibiotic, But Won't Eat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Firejade1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet recommended, so I want to stick with what she says, but I'll just test it. Chances are, Jade won't eat it anyway, lol, but I'll try it. They were out of some of the foods, but will have a shipment Tuesday. I'll go get some then.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I didn't mean to infer that you go against your vet's recommendation. But, it seems a lot of cats will not eat the kidney foods, or tire of them very easily, and some vets insist on 'forcing' a cat to eat them anyway, which also rarely works. Hopefully, your vet is not one of them and if Jade won't eat the food, your vet will agree that her eating other foods is better than not eating enough or at all.

Firejade1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tried weaning her off of the Mirataz for a day and her appetite was still good, so I'm gonna try it every other day for a while and then try reducing it again if all goes well. Will keep her on some appetite stimulant, but want to cut back. Vet said try giving it to her every other day. She did well yesterday off it.

Firejade1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gonna try another dry kidney food in the next few days since she's eating well. BTW, she saturates her litterbox with pee. Is this normal for a cat with CKD? I try to bail out the saturated litter to keep it clean and dry.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you saying that she is peeing more in quantity (and/or frequency) now than before? I have yet to understand the 'mechanics' behind this, but yes, I've read data on cats peeing more frequently and more in quantity as well. They supposedly are inclined to drink more too, but I don't think that is the only reason for the increase in urination.

I'm going back to re-read my 'bible' [Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat (felinecrf.org)] to see if it is discussed there.

EDIT: In my layperson's explanation, I'lll put it this way - As the kidneys begin to lose function, they cannot absorb water from the urine to reduce the overall volume and concentrate it. This leads to a higher volume of urine output. The concentration process involves the kidneys filtering out metabolic waste (naturally occurring toxins) that are then excreted through urine. So, this all means more urine but less filtering – the latter of which can cause things like lethargy, feeling unwell, among an ultimate host of other issues affecting all organs/processes within the body.

Last edited:

Firejade1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I haven't responded. Hubby and I got sick over the weekend. Kitty is still doing good on every other day Mirataz. Yes, she drinks more and pees more. She seems to be fine otherwise, eating well, playing, and being her usual demanding and talkative self. 🙂 Thank you for looking into this. Having read on human kidney disease, it would be similar with an animal I suppose. As long as she's happy and functioning, we'll keep her with us enjoying life.