Kitty maybe pregnant while nursing, help!

pann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aaah, so, I am a bit worried about my kitty (Kanji). She is currently nursing a litter of four 7 week old kittens. However, I am concerned that she might have gotten pregnant recently as well.  There are 2 intact males that I know of in my neighborhood, (one of which was the father of her current litter, a very handsome long furred tuxedo tom, and the other is an orange tabby) and both have apparently been seen mating with her.

Can she get pregnant while still nursing? I can't imagine this would be good for my poor kitty at all, especially as she is still young and this would be her second litter if she was pregnant.

If she was pregnant, she would be about 1-3 weeks along (depending on the father). Would there be any way to tell this early?
Her nipples are very pink, but she is nursing, so I figured that is not a very reliable way to tell right now. She doesn't have a noticeable bulge, but her stomach seems firmer and more rounded than it did before, and she is unusually vocal.

Her kittens are all healthy and happy, eating dry food and using the litterbox, and Kanji seems fine at this point as well (she caught a mouse earlier today in fact).

If she is pregnant, is there anything I can do to make it easier for her while she is nursing? Unfortunately I am leaving on Wednesday, and wont be back for 2 weeks to care for her. (I have friends who will be stopping by to check on her and give fresh food/water daily)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes.  It is very possible that she is pregnant again, and you are correct that it would be very hard on her body to go through with a pregnancy.

Is there any way that you could go ahead and get her spayed now?  Medically, it would be no different than a normal spay if you act now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was planning to go ahead and have that done after I came back and found homes for her kittens, but this complicates things. I may be able to convince my friend to take her in and have that done while I am gone, but my only concern then is about the kittens she is nursing. Would getting her spayed have any effect on that?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, she should be able to go back to nursing after having her spay.  Make sure she is sent home with painkillers for the first three days so she is comfortable.  If this is what you want to do, act quickly.  

Regardless, mom should stay 100% inside until she is spayed and the babies are totally weaned.

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my foster Mama cat spayed when the foster kittens were just under 7 weeks old. It had no negative effects on her kittens. They were eating canned food fine, so they took a couple of days off of nursing while she recuperated. Then they resumed nursing and are still nursing at 11 weeks. (Well those that are left here, anyway. Two kittens were just adopted!)