Kitty Litter Question; Regarding A Specific High End Brand

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been keeping multiple cats for nearly a decade. I have been through food problems, pest problems, and litter problems.
A few years ago while I was muddling through the newspaper pellets I ran into a Blue Buffalo vendor. That woman has become like a dear friend, a like minded soul who has 11 cats in her home. She got me to try the Blue Buffalo Walnut Litter. It is a fabulous product and I used it for months.
But I had a problem. Now, I don't know how many multi-cat owners here have changed feeding or litter altogether because of a single cat but one of my cats started having seepy paws, red angry, wet. Something resembling the litter started caking on her paws, all 4, creeping up her belly and backside. She is already extremely sensitive but being petted even became painful for her. I put her in a cage to separate her from the others. I was in a rush and low on funds so I used nesting paper for a rodent cage instead of the litter and her skin got less irritated.
Next pay day I bought a new litter for all of the boxes and she continued to recover.
I reported the problem to my friend, the vendor, and I have been using a soft cedar litter ever since.
I have actually been thinking about going back to the Blue Buffalo though at least for the main part of the house. The cedar is good but still smells and it draws pests too. I can't know for sure that the Walnut litter caused the skin irritation so I was wondering if anyone else has used the same product and had a sick cat.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yikes! What a scary experience.

Not with cat products, but it not uncommon for me to personally start having a reaction to some aspect of a product. It could be something in the specific batch of product, an overall formula or production change with the product, or just over time I develop a sensitivity.

It doesn't hurt to try going back and see if you have a reoccurance. I would warn you that if it is a change in the product itself or a sensitivity too you will need to be hyper vigilant for problems starting again. Usually if there is an adverse reaction to something once a reexposure will have a quicker and more adverse reaction the next time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yikes! What a scary experience.

Not with cat products, but it not uncommon for me to personally start having a reaction to some aspect of a product. It could be something in the specific batch of product, an overall formula or production change with the product, or just over time I develop a sensitivity.

It doesn't hurt to try going back and see if you have a reoccurance. I would warn you that if it is a change in the product itself or a sensitivity too you will need to be hyper vigilant for problems starting again. Usually if there is an adverse reaction to something once a reexposure will have a quicker and more adverse reaction the next time.
Thank you for the advice. I was thinking of buying it for the living room area only and continuing use of the cedar litter in my room. The cat who had the reaction is spending most of her time in my room right now. I still have a week to think about it.

kittylove14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please do not use cedar and please do read up on why!
Try another type of litter as it is probably a sensitivity. These companies do put fragrances and chemicals in their litters. Try to find something hypoallergenic or limited ingredient.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please do not use cedar and please do read up on why!
Try another type of litter as it is probably a sensitivity. These companies do put fragrances and chemicals in their litters. Try to find something hypoallergenic or limited ingredient.
I have used the Cedarific litter for years and there have been no health or skin problems. No evidence of UTI either.
A lot of the all natural litters are made from products that mold quickly in humid hot conditions.
Clay litters caused resp distress and pellets were a pain. They liked Daily News but it also molded.
The walnut is a mold risk but it lasted longest and I wasn't assaulted by ammonia when I dumped it. Composted well too.
My only issue with the cedar is that in the flea season we have had the litter boxes became flea boxes.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think she is. Blue Buffalo had never heard of this issue but rare sensitivities are a thing.