kitty litter getting stuck to paws

azurarverja

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! So I just recently got a new cat, Jazira, to foster until my friend gets a place of her own and can take her back. My friend supplied me with all the cat stuff, including a covered litter box with a swinging door and a litter mat to put in front of it and a big bag of Feline Pine to use as litter. The cat has no problem using the litter box, but when she comes out of the box dry litter is stuck to her fur- especially on her back paws!

The litter gets stuck all over the part between her paw pads and her heel, I'm guessing because she sits back on that part when using the box, but since she doesn't walk on that part it doesn't get wiped off on the litter mat. But as she walks around the apartment it falls off, especially wherever she sits- so our sofas and chairs- as well as our floors- are getting COVERED in flakes of Feline Pine! I'm thinking of taking her to get her long fur shaved (it's pretty hot here and she's shedding horribly, which is bad for my allergies), but I don't think they can shave that part of their feet?

Anyone have any suggestions to stop litter from getting everywhere? The litter that's getting stuck to her is clean, so I don't think it's a cleaning issue- the litter box is cleaned nightly and usually isn't too full anyways. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! I'd like to be able to sit on my sofas without vacuuming them first again!

nutrolori

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Feline Pine as well but I don't have it all over the house. I have seen it around the litter box but luckily he isn't tracking it all over the house. He likes to stay upstairs mostly. Have you tried the clumping Feline Pine?? I haven't used it myself but others I have spoken to seem to like it.

As for shedding horribly, what is the fatty acid content in the food you are feeding?? My Chester is a long haired guy too but he doesn't shed too badly. He eats Nutro Natural Choice Indoor Weight Management. Fatty acids really help improve the skin & coat which in turn can improve some of that shedding. Of course they are going to shed but I have found that it works well for my Chester Cheetah. Every cat is different too but it works for my guy.

I hope you find what works for you! Good luck!