Kitty Hex

thisismallory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boy, Hex, is about 17-18 weeks old. He is black with stray white hairs here and there (tiny chest and belly tufts). He also seems to have a poor quality smoke effect going on, exclusively on his chest, with some gray undercoat. Do a lot of black kitties have that?

He also has ghost tabby markings. I understand these are typically visable on black kittens. When do they normally disappear? (Do they ever stick around?)

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
What a gorgeous boy :rbheart:

Yep quite normal in black kittens. He should lose the smoke and ghosting when his adult coat starts to come though. One of his parents must have been a tabby which is why this is happening. Although I should add some cats don't lose the smoke or ghost tabby marking completely and can still be visible in bright sunlight.

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a black kitten that is about 5 months old now.  He also the ghost tabby pattern, which is visible in the right kind of light.  His brother, a black and white cat doesn't have the tabby marks on his body--just a hint of the vertical stripes on the back of his head and neck.

In fact, your kitty looks very much like my little boy; he only has the white, perhaps five white hairs, on his chest.  When he was smaller, they weren't visible at all.

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
What a lovely boy.  He looks like he has a long legged, lean, athletic build and lovely big ears, more like the foreign physique than Brittish or American short hair breeds, and his face shape looks more like a foreign type too.  He should look very handsome as he grows up. 
  Cute little white speck on his throat as well, perhaps he will keep that. :D

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

thisismallory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep! He sure is beautiful! I love him!

His paws are pretty big. He is definitely bigger than his litter mate sister, Leeto.

He loves to sit on the couch behind me and put his paw on my shoulder (you can see my shoulder in the picture). And he loves to stretch out long. (Whereas Leeto prefers to curl up.) It's fun learning the different personalities of kitties!

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi again!

Forget what I said earlier about my black and white kitty not showing  the ghost tabby pattern in the black part of his coat.  He does.  He was lying in a patch of sunlight and I could see it plainly.  Unfortunately I can't take pictures of these cats worth a durn.

Here is the best I could get:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my, Hex is a cutie. 
  Loving those tucked in relaxed paws to go with the 'rub my belly to wake me up' pose.  

@AngelinaCat, does your little  boy have some ginger colouring at the edges of the black as well or is that reflective light in the photo? 

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Oh my, Hex is a cutie. 
  Loving those tucked in relaxed paws to go with the 'rub my belly to wake me up' pose.  

@AngelinaCat, does your little  boy have some ginger colouring at the edges of the black as well or is that reflective light in the photo? 
No, that is light reflection.