Kitty hasn't pooped in 4 days.. Should I be worried?

snoozler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's 13 weeks old and just got him on Sunday. I immediately started him a raw diet (mixed with some commercial wet food for the first day or 2). On Tuesday (i think) he pooped. But he hasn't since then so I'm getting a bit worried..

He's only had 1-2 chicken wings over the course of this week - the rest has been chicken/pork meat, chicken heart and liver.. so I don't think it's too much bone.I gave him some egg yolk in his meal today as I heard that helps get things going.. Should i take him to the vet?? Should I stop feeding him?

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raw fed cats do poop less but 4 days is a long time. Kittens can get constipated pretty easily. I would call your vet and ask what they suggest. I'm not sure if something like miralax is safe for kittens or not. 

thenatureofanh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First and foremost, congratulations on your new family member! I just adopted my first kitten on Saturday and she's around the same age as your new little buddy! With that being said, by no means am I an expert on felines, so please take what I say with a grain of salt. From what I've heard, switching a kitten or cats' diet suddenly can cause digestive problems. I think there's suppose to be a "weening" period where you gradually introduce them to their new diet while still feeding them the food they were on previously. From what I've read (and what I've been told), this should go on for about a week or so, with you putting less of the old food in with the new food until you're no longer feeding them the old food. Chances are, the poor baby is probably constipated. One of the humane societies where I live suggests giving kittens unflavored Pedialyte to aid with constipation. Though, to be on the safe side, I would call your vet to see what he/she recommends. (:

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your new family member :)

4 days is a long time and I 2nd (3rd?) the recommendation to see a vet.

Raw has always caused constipation in my cats, I don't know why. Some it's been mild but others it's been terrible.

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat had anemia caused by flea infestation. He is allergic to all flea treatments so he became infested and as he has some dark fur we didnt see how bad. And neither did the vet who we took him to a few weeks before he had full blown anemia.
So anemia meant had low red blood cells. Took him a few months to fully get back to health . We did a few blood tests to monitor improvement. During this time he had constipation. Went up to 7-8 days without poop. His diet is only cooked chicken and at the time some hydrolysed protein biscuits. so chicken makes them go less as they absorb most of it - its light meat and no carbs
Now he is going every 2 days or so
Maybe anemia causes this as when he has little fleas and pink gums he poops ok

Last edited: