Kitty Has Liver Issues

jdcrews

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 3 year old male cat, Kobe, was diagnosed last Thursday with liver issues. He has lost weight & throws up about once a day. The vet took away Party Mix cat treats thinking they might be the culprit & no human food. He put him on Denosyl 90 mg once a day for 30 days. He has had 3 doses of the Denosyl. He is still throwing up. How long before we see an improvement?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont have answers for your question. Just wanted to say i am sorry for his problem, and i hope he gets well soon! What food do you feed him? Did the vet prescribe a specific food for his condition?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jdcrews

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He didn't recommend a food change. He said to keep him on his regular food but to discontinue the Party Mix treats or any other treats. He eats fancy feast wet & dry food. He also eats Little Friskies dry food in gravy flavored.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so so sorry you and your baby are having to deal with this! Sounds like you have a good vet, but can you email/call today or tomorrow and find out more regarding time?
One thing I'd mention, my Big Guy had elevated liver numbers a few months ago and the vets were not able to tell me why or give me anything to work with. Doubly frustrating, not only for my cats' health, plus I'm paying them to help me out (I get it, veterinarians are human too, but...), and also I'm way too Type A and completely unable to just sit.
So after some further research in addition to some thoughts/questions I had about some ingredients already, I got rid of almost every food with Menadione (a scary synthetic vitamin K that effects the liver), I got him started on some store bought frozen raw in addition to his other safe canned and dry food, I found a clean (no additives) Milk Thistle liver support (I'm not suggesting this for your guy since he's already on the medication that your vet prescribed), and also put a water filter on my kitchen faucet. The idea there being that although I'm not in an area with water that's undrinkable, there's still "stuff" in the water here. I want to give his liver a chance to deal with as little as possible and thereby be given the opportunity to heal and repair itself, as that marvelous bodily organ can do unlike most of the other organs.
We're sending you every good thought there is and LOTS of hugs!!
EDIT to clarify, milk thistle is good for support, as in my case when the situation is not so dire.

Last edited:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot depends on what the cause of the liver damage is.

I had a cat that ended up with liver damage at a young age, and I traced it back to the food. The food had so much grain in it that it caused a blockage all the way up to his stomach. This caused a chain reaction of events, multiple enemas, bile flowing the wrong way, and a double bacterial infection in the liver. Unfortunately, it took the vets nearly 4 months to figure it all out (by biopsy), by which time my cat was practically on deaths door. We were able to save him by the skin of our teeth with medications, support supplements (milk thistle & sam-e) and a change in diet (we switched to raw).

So, as Furballsmom Furballsmom has said, look at the food. Menadione is one of many ingredients that can do damage in the long run, extra grains, soy, and carrageenan can also be culprits.

And get to the bottom of what has caused the issue, because without that information, you're just throwing spaghetti at the wall.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He didn't recommend a food change. He said to keep him on his regular food but to discontinue the Party Mix treats or any other treats. He eats fancy feast wet & dry food. He also eats Little Friskies dry food in gravy flavored.
Well, i normally always follow my vets instructions. Honestly i am good with most fancy feast and Friskies wet foods. I am not such a fan of their dry foods, especially the fancy feast dry. But that is just my opinion, if it were me i might check into a different dry, maybe one of the purina beyond foods? The newer dry that is showing up in all the grocery stores, Crave. Or even the Purina cat chow natural, less artificial colors and such. I check out the ratings on a lot of my cat foods online, and one place i use is CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat you might want to look around, and then talk to the vet? But that's just my opinion. Good luck to you and Kobe!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - this morning I was looking into Denosyl and revisited this thread - how is your cat doing?

jdcrews

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. Thank you for asking about Kobe.
Kobe is doing much better. The vet gave him another shot 2 weeks ago. He is no longer taking Denosyl. He had started refusing to eat his food. We gave him baby food( meat & broth only) & he loved it . He ate that for a few days & then started his wet food along with the baby food. Now he is eating his wet food & dry food. I bought several cans of the better cat food but he refused all of it. So we went back to Fancy Feast. We did buy Science Diet Prescription I/d dry food from our vet. He eats it sometimes so we keep some out all the time. Our other cat likes it.
Kobe is acting like his normal self again. His eyes are bright & clear. It's so good to see him purr & play. The vet wants to see him in a week to do another blood test to check his liver enzymes. We are praying for good results.

jdcrews

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on Kobe
Took Kobe for his blood work today following his treatment for high liver enzymes. I'm so happy & relieved to report that everything in the blood work is back to normal!