Kitty got pregnant too early...

yuriel0416

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think the stray my uncle picked up got pregnant too early, she just gave birth this morning and the kittens all look so tiny and scrawny. I'm scared that they might not survive. Mama cat keeps meowing at me and I can't figure out what she wants, What should I do?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she feeding them? Are they fussy or do they seem contented? Do you have a kitchen/postage scale? Do you have the supplies to hand feed them if necessary?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yuriel0416

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mama cat is properly feeding them now. I guess she was a bit disoriented earlier 'cuz she was hungry, she kept meowing for food and water even though we never moved her food bowl. But no, unfortunately, I don't have the proper tools to weigh or hand feed the kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Give her plenty of food at all times and put it right next to her. She needs all she can get to support nursing her babies. How many kittens are there?

If you can, buy a can of powdered PetAg kitten formula in the pet section of Walmart ($10), and mix up a dish a day for mama. She needs the extra calcium. She needs wet food and dry food now. If a kitten needs supplementing, you’ll have formula on hand. Ask a pharmacy for a free small syringe to feed with — just to have on hand in case.

Keep us posted — we love pictures! :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, it takes mom cats a couple of days after giving birth to settle in hormonally. It’s a huge adjustment, so give her extra attention and praise for her job well done!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yuriel0416

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Give her plenty of food at all times and put it right next to her. She needs all she can get to support nursing her babies. How many kittens are there?

If you can, buy a can of powdered PetAg kitten formula in the pet section of Walmart ($10), and mix up a dish a day for mama. She needs the extra calcium. She needs wet food and dry food now. If a kitten needs supplementing, you’ll have formula on hand. Ask a pharmacy for a free small syringe to feed with — just to have on hand in case.

Keep us posted — we love pictures! :)
Thank you so much for the advice! I'll ask my uncle to buy everything the mama and her kittens need. We're still wary 'cuz of the pandemic right now. Mama cat's got four little kitties and I'll be sure to post pictures when things are looking better. ^^