kitty drooling

shannonc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday when I got home my 2 year old scottish fold threw up in the living room...His vomit was mostly non-digested food and something else but i couldnt tell what it was...looked like some sort of material? Alizay has already eaten an entire dryer sheet and thrown it up on a different occasion. We no longer use dryer sheets for that exact reason so he couldn't have eaten one again. Since then he has been acting completely normal..BUT he's been drooling when he sleeps and it seems like his saliva is kind of thick, and his bottom lip/gums is brighter pink than the rest of his mouth. He's been eating/drinking normal too...is this something I should be really alarmed about? He's running laps with our kitten right now so he obviously feels okay. Going to take him to vet in the AM anyways but any advice would be great!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shannonc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, I've caught him chewing on the christmas tree quite a few times, so I'm thinking maybe that irritated his gums which is making him produce more saliva?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe, or it could be the starting of a dental issues. Can you tell what was vomited up? You probably should have rinsed it off and hunted around to try to match it to something in the house - just in case he found something new to attempt to eat.

Right before a cat (well, actually any animal that vomits) vomits there will be more saliva produced. It's why you see cats licking at their mouths when they're getting sick.

All of my cats drool in their sleep. Even the kittens do it.
I think it's because they sleep on the bed stretched out and often have their mouths and lips cushioned in such a way that the drool leaks out. It happens to people, too. They all get that thicker saliva when in super lovable let me drool on you mode.

Since you don't know what he's been eating you might want to call the vet concerning that. Possible dental issues will have to be dealt with at some point. Whenever a cat eats an irritating plant (from oxalates) it won't just be right around the teeth - it'll be all of their gums and even the roof of the mouth and tongue that will look a bit inflamed. Sort of like a slight burn (technically it would be a type of burn).