Kitty Depressed? Not Eating, Vomit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rangerspouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hootie was given a pill that was very bitter and was most likely the cause of the foaming. He is still at our vets and being force fed. I should hear something again today, but he will probably have to stay for a while. We will discuss the next course of action after we get him over this hump - just keeping down some food and meds. We will head to the school next if no improvement. THank you thank you everyone for writing and trying to help. I'll ask the vet about the kidneys - it probably would have shown up in the blood work, right?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rangerspouse

Hootie was given a pill that was very bitter and was most likely the cause of the foaming. He is still at our vets and being force fed. I should hear something again today, but he will probably have to stay for a while. We will discuss the next course of action after we get him over this hump - just keeping down some food and meds. We will head to the school next if no improvement. THank you thank you everyone for writing and trying to help. I'll ask the vet about the kidneys - it probably would have shown up in the blood work, right?
depends how deep the vet went in the blood work most wont until it is a seniour kitty or you ask

rangerspouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hootie is doing better. Thank you to each of you for showing concern and all of the help. He has been eating on his own and drinking water, but they say he still doesn't drink enough yet. He is staying for the rest of today and hopefully I will pick him up tonight. Thank you thank you for talking me through this! I'll let you know when he gets home.

rangerspouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rangerspouse

Hootie is doing better. Thank you to each of you for showing concern and all of the help. He has been eating on his own and drinking water, but they say he still doesn't drink enough yet. He is staying for the rest of today and hopefully I will pick him up tonight. Thank you thank you for talking me through this! I'll let you know when he gets home.
Hootie is home!!!!!!!!!

He has to go back daily for his meds, but that's a quick stop in. He was eating last night and drinking so I think we are good! We are having an issue with the new kitty and Hootie's arrival home, but I think I'll ask about that in the behavior section. New kittty, Gidget has had the house to herself for 4 days now and thinks she's in charge. Hooties a bit intimidated. What can I do? I locked her up in a room for a bit last night so at least he'd feel comfortable enough to eat. She just wants to play I think - she chases him, but she seems to be scaring him.

rangerspouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you have read my posting in the Health section, you would know that Hootie, my siamese boy of 7 years has been at the vets for about 4 days for vomitting, not eating, etc. Never quite narrowed down the problem, but he suspects it could have been a bug or plant he ate (No more indoor plants now!). Anyway he's back and is seems do be feeling much better.
But here's the deal. We adopted a new kitty Gidget (about 1-2 yrs old) last Saturday. Hootie and she were together for a couple of days until Hootie got sick. While he was gone, she'd had the run of the house and has definately built up her confidence. I truely think she wants to play (she used to chase him before with no problem), but Hootie seems a bit scared. I don't want him afraid and I want him to somehow become "top cat" again. Any suggestions? I did put her in a room (w/ appropriate kitty stuff!) for a while last night so that Hoot could eat without fear. He HAS to eat and drink.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sooo glad Hootie is home!
He will certainly be in my thoughts until he is fully recovered. He doesn't need stress interfering with his recovery. If I was in your situation, I would separate them until your judgement tells you he is feeling spunky enough to stand his ground. I know that Gidget may not mean any harm , so make certain that you give Gidget some loving and play time with you.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
she may be a alpha cat ... but I would try vanilla under noses .. it is likely she forgot his smell and vise versa ...

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, but you can't choose who's going to be "top cat" -- that's something they'll decide between themselves.