kitty biting me

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my kitties likes to bite me at different times. It's almost like a love bite. He does it slowly, gradually clamping down and when I say no or move he stops but then slowly tries to get close enough to do it again. He usually does it when we are laying in bed or when he is trying to snuggle with me on the couch.

I've never had a cat that does this, anyone know why and maybe a cure other than what I'm already doing?

He is about 4-5 months old and probably teething but I'm not sure if that is why he is doing it.

berfy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It means he/she loves you. I have a boy that does this too, and I love it.

glenman12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a male kitten that was 6 months old...after about a month of getting aquainted he would do the same to me when I was petting him..at first he would grab my hand with his claws and do the biting but not hard enough to break the skin but the claws sure did..after many times of being told "no" and to "be nice" he now grabs my hand with his paws but not with his claws out and even the biting is less forceful..I agree with the other poster that its a sign of affection

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kairi does the same thing, but he licks where he's bitten me. He's purring while he does it, so i think he's showing love.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, well I wish he wouldn't do it when I'm trying to sleep LOL.

diet cola

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My neighbour's cat sometimes does this to me, she grabs my hand when I'm stroking her when she's lying down and pulls it towards her mouth. She has bitten me gently once before. It's cute.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They'll do that when they're grooming each other... you ever notice how a cat will bite at a tangle in their fur to get it loose? I think the gentle bite is either a grooming or play thing. If the cat isn't biting down, it's a pretty safe bet that their biting is not aggressive. If you want to discourage it, pull away once they start biting and ignore them; that'll tell them you don't like it. Not that they won't still do it occasionally, of course.

tabbygeorge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our 15 week old kitten does it too! He'll often lick and bite and purr at the same time! It can hurt a little with his sharp teeth and be annoying in the middle of the night, but it's very cute!! I think they eventually grow out of it and can be a kitten thing.

Does anyone's adult cat do this?

minlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine does but she is a little over a year. It's her way of affection.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 7 year old boy who does this, I am his mommy and he loves nothing more then to snuggle and nibble me... great when I am trying to sleep...