Kitties Killed By Coyote - And I Feel Guilty

MarinaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm having a very hard time copying with the death of my kittens, and the guilt associated with it.

Four months ago I adopted from a rescue center two beautiful kittens. This is the first time in my adult life that I directly adopt pets; I grew up with cats, but somehow it is different when your parents take care of them and you just get to enjoy them.
I grew up in Europe, where all cats are inside/outside. It isn't even a question. We had a number of cats at any given time, raging from newborns to a 20-something yo lady, and never had a litter box or anything. They were free to come and go as they pleased, and we had very few accidents because of this, mostly with no major impact on their lives.

Fast forward in my life, I now live in the USA, and I am adopting two kittens. Friends around me have cats and keep them as inside-only pets. European-me think it's silly and not in their nature, so decide not to follow their example - after all, most of them also had the cats declawed, so I definitely don't take them as example. Silly me thinks that because I live in the country side in a cul-de-sac with virtually no road traffic, it is the perfect place for them to grow up enjoying the outside world as much as they want. Also, I see some neighbors let their cats roam outside, so I decide my friends are way too cautious. I wait for the kitties to be 6 months old, and then open the door to the backyard. Oh, how happy they were to play and run and chase leaves! They were a joy.
Two months later, one of them doesn't came back home. I go frantic. I know cats sometimes go for an adventure, but it is completely out of character for him. So, I start looking for him everywhere, ask any neighbor, use any trick in the book to lure him back home. I think he probably went too far and got lost, or got stuck in some neighbor's shed/basement/car/ ... I wonder if I should start keeping the second kitten inside, but decide not to: her scent and her meowing could actually help bring him home. Five days later, still no signs of him. I get up in the morning, and now also the other cat is missing. We find her in our own backyard, apparently killed by a coyote, a few hours later.

I have lost both my kittens in less than a week. They were only eight months old. It goes without saying that I feel incredibly sad for their way too early death, and I feel responsible. Had I kept them as inside pets as my American friends do, this would have never happened. Had I not though that I knew better because I've seen so many cats raised by my parents - in a different country!! -, maybe I would have just done what everyone else was doing and they would not have had to face coyotes. Had I never adopted them, they would still be at the rescue center - maybe not a great life, but better than the premature death I gave them.

I loved them with all my heart, and it cost them their life. I don't know how to accept that.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello.
I'm so sorry this has happened!
It is a harsh thing to deal with, but neither of these kitties would want you to feel so terrible, to the point that it defines everything about their lives. They would want you to try and remember them in their joy and happiness.
RIP sweet darling cats, you brought light and loveliness to your people. You are now in a place of forever sunshine and peace :rbheart:

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry but what happened to your kitties is a serious issue in many places in the US. Coyotes have gotten so accustomed to people and will take petsany chance they get. Maybe in the future you will be ready to adopt again and honor your first kitties by keeping the new ones safely indoors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MarinaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello.
I'm so sorry this has happened!
It is a harsh thing to deal with, but neither of these kitties would want you to feel so terrible, to the point that it defines everything about their lives. They would want you to try and remember them in their joy and happiness.
RIP sweet darling cats, you brought light and loveliness to your people. You are now in a place of forever sunshine and peace :rbheart:
Furballsmom, thank you. I'm sure with time the grief will be better and I will be able to remember all the wonderful moments and the joy we gave each other. They were amazing kittens, with very different and strong personalities. They stole my heart completely in a few months. But I'm also sure my guilt will always be there as well.

MarinaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am very sorry but what happened to your kitties is a serious issue in many places in the US. Coyotes have gotten so accustomed to people and will take petsany chance they get. Maybe in the future you will be ready to adopt again and honor your first kitties by keeping the new ones safely indoors.
Now I know that. If I will ever be able to adopt again, I will definitely keep this way too harsh lesson in mind. I just can't stop asking myself - why them? why why why... with all the other outside cats I see around my neighborhood, why did it have to be both of my little ones? I know it's selfish to think that. Thankfully, I was already scheduled to move out of this area into a more urban place in a few weeks. I can't stand anymore looking at the countryside, with its trees and wildlife.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for your loss. Honor them by your memories. Love is untouched by a mere change of form.

It isn't only your two. You just can't keep track of all the ones in the neighborhood who 'disappear'. Many owners never think to mention it or warn people.

You need to know that coyotes live in the cities, they live in San Francisco, in New York, Chicago, all cities, everywhere in the USA.

MarinaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hugs. But caution also in that coyotes have moved into Urban areas as well
Yes, I'm afraid I didn't express myself too well.
What I meant is: I used to love living in the countryside. Getting up in the morning and watching the trees behind my house, listening to all the different birds, seeing the wild turkeys in my backyard and all of that. Now I get up and see the trees... and I hate them. I hate all this nature, and its stupid rules, that took away my little ones. Moving to an urban area isn't going to be safer if I ever have an other pet again - I've learnt the lesson - but it won't be a constant reminder for me that behind every bush, every tree, there could be a wild animal ready to take them away from me. Maybe it's stupid, for sure it's emotional, but I can't help but looking at all the nature around me now and feeling angry at it.

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your tragic loss.

You are not alone in having suffered this tragedy, although I can imagine it hurts so much more to loose them so young and so close together. There are lots of people here in the US that still let their cats outside- some have been lucky to not have an incident, others take it as a fact of life. You wanted to give your kitties what you thought was a fulfilling life, and for those few months you did. Because of you, they had a home and knew love. Don't ever let that go.

MarinaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your tragic loss.

You are not alone in having suffered this tragedy, although I can imagine it hurts so much more to loose them so young and so close together. There are lots of people here in the US that still let their cats outside- some have been lucky to not have an incident, others take it as a fact of life. You wanted to give your kitties what you thought was a fulfilling life, and for those few months you did. Because of you, they had a home and knew love. Don't ever let that go.
Thank you Diana. These words really help my pain. I loved them with everything I had and did everything I could for them. When I adopted them, they came with ringworms, and for the first two months I spent every minute I was not at work with them, taking care of it the best I could (I actually found great advices on this website). When I spayed her, I stayed up all night next to her to make sure she didn't lick her stiches. I gave them everything I had to give, and they repaid me a thousand times. I'm just sorry that I didn't know any better.

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Diana. These words really help my pain. I loved them with everything I had and did everything I could for them. When I adopted them, they came with ringworms, and for the first two months I spent every minute I was not at work with them, taking care of it the best I could (I actually found great advices on this website). When I spayed her, I stayed up all night next to her to make sure she didn't lick her stiches. I gave them everything I had to give, and they repaid me a thousand times. I'm just sorry that I didn't know any better.
You were very, very unlucky. Of course it's safer to keep cats indoors, but it's not uncommon for people to let them out. I did it with my first 2 cats and I work with barn cats who live primarily outdoors (one lived to the ripe old age of 18, bless her). Please don't blame yourself; you couldn't have predicted that a coyote would end up stalking them both. :(

And whenever you feel that you might be ready, you would be blessing another life with the gift of your love. It is a gift, and your little angels wouldn't want you to close off your heart forever.

MarinaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You were very, very unlucky. Of course it's safer to keep cats indoors, but it's not uncommon for people to let them out. I did it with my first 2 cats and I work with barn cats who live primarily outdoors (one lived to the ripe old age of 18, bless her). Please don't blame yourself; you couldn't have predicted that a coyote would end up stalking them both. :(

And whenever you feel that you might be ready, you would be blessing another life with the gift of your love. It is a gift, and your little angels wouldn't want you to close off your heart forever.
Diana, you are a very kind soul and this community is lucky to have you. Your words are really helping my pain. It might be silly, but having someone with more experience than myself saying that it wasn't all my fault really makes me feel a little better. Thank you.

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
Diana, you are a very kind soul and this community is lucky to have you. Your words are really helping my pain. It might be silly, but having someone with more experience than myself saying that it wasn't all my fault really makes me feel a little better. Thank you.
Thank you, that means a lot :) I'm happy that I could ease a little of your pain.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a crap shoot every time you let your cats outdoors and out of your sight. i live right in the middle of town, but are surrounded by park areas and walking trails. We have deer, racoons, skunks and yes, coyotes. One was injured and attacking walkers not even a block from my home. I even had a great horned owl kill two kittens before I figured out what it was. There is nothing you can do to protect your little ones completely outdoors, but accidents, and danger lurks even indoors too. And death comes for them all eventually. All we can do is love them right now, and enjoy what time we do have with them, no matter how long or short.
You had no intent to harm them, you did not know of the danger that was present. Therefore how can you have guilt with no intent? But of course we all do, because it is called grief. It does absolutely no good to dwell on the past and all that pain, the good memories and the love they brought to you should be what you cherish and remember, not the horrible pain caused by a tragic accident. Why? because they love you and would never want to bring pain into your life.Just as you would want for them if you were the first to go, so they want you to go forward into the future, not hold all the pain of their deaths in your past be foremost in your life and to let it be more important than the life they shared with you, the love. You are guilty of nothing, only of loving them and wanting what you thought was the best. You only wanted their happiness. The bond you built withem will be with you always, because it is spiritual, not physical. they will always be as near as your thoughts and prayers. they live on through your love now, send them thoughts of comfort and the joys of life, not tears and sadness. Time is the only thing that helps us to distance ourselves from the pain. You will always have a pain in your heart when you think of them, but it will eventually be mixed with memories and feelings of the love you shared. They left you a legacy of love, it needs to be passed on and shared to grow, to gather more loves and happiness for your soul, like a mother with several children who loves them all, each unique and so precious.
My heart goes out to you, I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. i've been in your shoes, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I just wanted to let you know, time heals all wounds, even though it leaves a scar to remind us, and I pray that one day you will once more find the beauty in nature, because it IS there if you let it. Please know we are always here for comfort, you are welcome anytime....RIP beautiful angels. You will never be forgotten, you will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
"Apparently killed by a coyote".

I am not sure that there was about a coyote. Not sure at all. If they kill, they eat.

Also, can you spot a coyote prey-sign?

I am not saying it is impossible to be a coyote. I am only saying that I doubt. Check presence of the dogs as well.

+++

For the practical reasons, some recommend planting trees, because the cats can climb but coyotes usually cant. But not all cats like to climb. For instance, mine do not like it at all. And do not underestimate pack-hunting, coyotes have strategies.

+++

I am very sorry you faced the merciless side of the Mother Nature. It is as it is, there is no blame for anybody to obey the basic rules of the nature. As it would be no blame for somebody to exist or to eat meat or to die at a certain moment.

You know, literally million of felines are hunted by other species each ear, in the wilderness. We do not feel sorry for them, and we are not requested to do so. It is the Nature enforcing her laws. It was just by accident the laws were enforced when you were around. You are not the cause, you are not the reason. You are only a Human being there.

Could you keep the cats indoor only? Yes, you can. But Nature can always find a path to do what it has to be done: cats can get ill, they can eat toxic flowers inside and so on. Would have a better life in the shelter? Perhaps not. Kitties need more love than a shelter can offer, no matter how dedicated the guardians are, they are few persons and there is a lot of cats to care. A lot of cats means increased health risks and so on.

We are not the brain of the Nature, we are only the arms. And arms have no guilt.

+++

My tears and hugs! Have a nice journey back to home cloud, kitties!

MarinaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's a crap shoot every time you let your cats outdoors and out of your sight. i live right in the middle of town, but are surrounded by park areas and walking trails. We have deer, racoons, skunks and yes, coyotes. One was injured and attacking walkers not even a block from my home. I even had a great horned owl kill two kittens before I figured out what it was. There is nothing you can do to protect your little ones completely outdoors, but accidents, and danger lurks even indoors too. And death comes for them all eventually. All we can do is love them right now, and enjoy what time we do have with them, no matter how long or short.
You had no intent to harm them, you did not know of the danger that was present. Therefore how can you have guilt with no intent? But of course we all do, because it is called grief. It does absolutely no good to dwell on the past and all that pain, the good memories and the love they brought to you should be what you cherish and remember, not the horrible pain caused by a tragic accident. Why? because they love you and would never want to bring pain into your life.Just as you would want for them if you were the first to go, so they want you to go forward into the future, not hold all the pain of their deaths in your past be foremost in your life and to let it be more important than the life they shared with you, the love. You are guilty of nothing, only of loving them and wanting what you thought was the best. You only wanted their happiness. The bond you built withem will be with you always, because it is spiritual, not physical. they will always be as near as your thoughts and prayers. they live on through your love now, send them thoughts of comfort and the joys of life, not tears and sadness. Time is the only thing that helps us to distance ourselves from the pain. You will always have a pain in your heart when you think of them, but it will eventually be mixed with memories and feelings of the love you shared. They left you a legacy of love, it needs to be passed on and shared to grow, to gather more loves and happiness for your soul, like a mother with several children who loves them all, each unique and so precious.
My heart goes out to you, I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. i've been in your shoes, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I just wanted to let you know, time heals all wounds, even though it leaves a scar to remind us, and I pray that one day you will once more find the beauty in nature, because it IS there if you let it. Please know we are always here for comfort, you are welcome anytime....RIP beautiful angels. You will never be forgotten, you will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!
Thank you. I'm sorry you had this kind of experience happen to you as well.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about this. Well, here is a thought, since you never found the boy cat who disappeared first, maybe someone took him in and he's living inside. You never know. I, too, would think a coyote would eat the other one. Either way, it must have been terrible to find and see. I would feel as you do. I hope your heart will heal in time.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Little Ones, dream you deep. Your tiny pawprints are in someone's heart forever.

I weep with you. I know how guilty you are feeling, but as you said, you came here from a very different culture. How could you have possibly truly understood why we feel the way we do? Such a harsh lesson...BUT...those kittens had love and home for their entire little lives, and one day I hope you will honor their lives by saving another kitten (or two)...this time, knowing the dangers here.

MarinaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry about this. Well, here is a thought, since you never found the boy cat who disappeared first, maybe someone took him in and he's living inside. You never know. I, too, would think a coyote would eat the other one. Either way, it must have been terrible to find and see. I would feel as you do. I hope your heart will heal in time.
Timmer, I too hope that my sweet boy is safe and sound in someone else's home, and I simply can not find him. But it's just a hope.
I was told by animal control it appears like a coyote kill, but honestly I don't care what exactly happened. I can't get that horrible image out of my head. My girl is gone, and I can't not picture how scared she must have been in her last moments. It breaks my heart.