Kitties Hate Vet’s Purina EN wet food

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my rescue kitties is experiencing ongoing diarrhea and lethargy. He has been tested and treated for giardia, and we just sent in another stool sample for further testing for other diseases. Results should be back in about 5 days. In the meantime, the vet suggested we feed him a bland diet of purina EN wet and dry food. My other rescue kitty is being fed it too since it would be hard to feed them separate foods without my sick kitty wanting his former food instead. They both like the dry food, but hate the wet food (they went from Tiki cat to this, so I don’t blame them!)

thoughts or similar experiences? I will call back the vet and explain. My concern is that I want to make sure they continue to receive the moisture wet food provides.
Thoughts?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I came to the conclusion years ago that you feed what they will eat. If you try and they don't want it, I change back within a week. Or you could try mixing some of their old food into the new for a while and see if that will help. I have fed many healthy cats just hard food for many years, there are many good ones out there. I just encouraged and raised their water intake by introducing water fountains and setting several small bowls of water around the house to make them curious, they check it out, and most times drink. An cat does not get better if they don't eat. By all means, discuss this with your vet and see if they can come up with something.

• Purraise
Reactions: HAS

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the cat won't eat the food, then don't feed it. It's more important that the cat eats something. It's ok to not feed whatever brand the vet recommends, even prescription food which most of the time really doesn't help.

Any bland-ish canned food will provide hydration. Rawz is a good brand but it's expensive and not sold in many stores or online. Where to Buy | RAWZ Short of that, a limited ingredient brand may be helpful.

BLUE Basics® Limited Ingredient Cat Food | Blue Buffalo
Limited Ingredient Diet - Grain Free Cat | Merrick Pet Care
Cat Food - Limited Ingredient Diet - Kohapet
Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet | Instinct Pet Food
Grain Free Wet Recipes - NutriSource Pet Foods (not exactly an LID food but some of the canned are novel protein)

You can try adding S. boulardii to help with the diarrhea. There's info here on how to use it: Prebiotics & Probiotics for Cats: Healing Inflammation and gut dysbiosis I'd start at half a caspsule daily for a week or so and then increase it up to a full capsule daily if there are no effects. Open the capsule and sprinkle the contents into canned food.