Kitties from the Same Litter - Strange Behavior

mainecoonemoses

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two female cats that are both from the same litter. They are about 2 years old, and they absolutely hate each other. One cat is   more dominant than the other; she will growl and hiss if the other cat even enters the room. Then, she will go out of her way to attack the other cat. The dominant cat can be protective of the food bowl as well. Although I love both cats, I feel so bad for the submissive cat. It is obvious that this cat lives in fear, hiding for the most part unless the other cat goes outside or falls asleep in another room. I hardly see the submissive cat sometimes! She is not only scared of the other cat, but she is scared of almost everything now (me, my spouse, the dog, loud noises etc.) I can not pick this cat up with out it crying and running away. (I've stopped trying to force 'love' on this kitty.) The only time she is content is if I am sitting still on the bed or couch, and she approaches me and falls asleep. I can pet her during these time, and she will purr and nudge my hand for more. However, if I move positions, she will go flying.

Is this common behavior for cat siblings? Any suggestions for how to help these two?

The cats have always lived together; however, I have only had them since November. The previous owner had their front paws declawed (I'm against declawing, do not worry). I have always wondered if the more dominant cat is meaner because she was declawed and is in pain or something? None of the cats' paws seem to be sensitive (now), but I admit that I am a bit ignorant to declawing side effects. Could their be something deeper to the issue that I can help?

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's probably why they were declawed and then given up... Fighting.  Are they spayed?  That can help a lot if they are not.   Though I can't imagine a vet not suggesting that first before declawing?  If they haven't been fixed, get them fixed and separate them somehow.  You need to wait to get rid of the excess hormones and to build up the submissive ones confidence.  Spend lots of time with her.  Give her a big area with lots of light, windows and attention.  Well, first of all, this is not an easy fix situation and hard choices may be down the road.  But, first you can try.... Feliway air diffuser and have them wear calming collars for good measure.  They can help a lot or they might not do anything... Only time will tell.  Maybe you can separate them and wait for a noticable calmness to come over both of them... Then reintroduce them with positive reinforcement.  Set them (still separated somehow) where they can see eachother but they have something really tasty about 3 or 4 ft apart.  However close but far enough away to still be OK with the submissive one.  The way this works is that it is supposed to get them to associate eachother with something positive.  Praise them both for not getting vicious with eachother while they eat.  Each time getting them closer and closer to eachother until you feel they do not need the separation any longer.

Like I said, no easy fix.  It can help but it won't be an overnight thing.  No chaos from you.  They will feed off your energy this whole time.  So if you are tense, they will be too.  Cats are very much channelers.  Just remain calm and try not to expect too much... Baby steps. 

It may not always be roses between the two... One will always see herself as the alpha.  But, as long as they can be in the same room without chaos and fighting... That will be a win. 

If not, you may need to make a hard choice and find the one a new forever home separate from her sister as they obviously cannot live together.  But try first.  Progress can be made if you want it to work.  Best of luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mainecoonemoses

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your suggestion, and yes, both cats have been spayed.