Kitties changing attitude.

stevenboots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Boots is now six months old. He has been the cute little cat that jumps on Daddy's lap and always wanting to play.

Over the past few weeks he has gotten an independent, demanding attitude. Like in, "Hey. Human. Wheres my evening pate?" or "Hey. Human. Get off your butt and open the door. I'm going out for a while." Well. That demanding attitude don't work around here. We will open the door when 'we' feel like it. He seems to love being outdoors but wants to come and go at his desire.

He will accept a rub on the head or neck but seems hes not interested in playfulness anymore.

I know animals are on a sort of biological clock but it seems Boots knows when 4:00 to 4:30 P.M. is. Its pate time. And he demands it right now if it ain't in the bowl. He is not aggressive. When he doesn't get his way 'right now' he will lay on the floor and stare and meow.

Seems he skipped the teen years and went right from Daddy's cute lil' kitten to grump old cat. Like Dad's a grumpy old guy.

Anyone gone through this with your kitten?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I just saw your other post. Please don't let your intact make cat outside. He is contributing to the huge problem of unwanted cats and you are risking his health. Intact males fight for territory brutally and also are at risk for sexually transmitted diseases.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, come on!!!  I had teenaged boys.  They're bottomless pits, and eat 24/7.  His problem is no thumbs, so you have to tend to that.  They only want affection on their own terms, and no longer have time to play with Mom and Dad.  I'd say he is right on target!  He'll settle as he matures.

I do agree that he needs to be neutered, if this hasn't already been done.  He'll be happier, healthier, and there wont be anyone knocking on the door looking for kitten support.  I know, amusing, but very true.  There are too many like Boots, who really never stand a chance unless some kind soul finds them very young, and that almost never happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stevenboots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has an appointment for this Thursday (Remove the jewels).

He gave us a scare. Yesterday I found him sitting at the back porch with the left side of his face swollen and left eye appeared swollen shut. He wouldn't come to me so I felt something was hurting him. I finally carried him into the house and he laid around all evening/night.

This morning he was sluggish, wouldn't eat and his head would jerk upward involuntarily.  He didn't want to be bothered. I let him lay on the bed. I went in to check him later and had a real scare. He didn't move and I didn't feel breathing. I prayed and called the Vet and couldn't get him in for a couple hours.

They stuck that device up his azz again (He talks to them when they do that.) Vet said his temp was ninety (something) and it appeared Boots has an infection. Gave him a couple shots and said to report on him tomorrow. That he should feel better in a couple hours.

Well. He is pretty much back to his normal self. Kinda slow and wants to be right next to one of us. Thank you Lord. I hope thats all over.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, poor boy!

He really does need to be neutered.. sounds like he's getting into scraps, and that's tom behaviour......

I'm really glad he's on the mend. 

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He'll be a much happier kitten in a bit.  It will take a few weeks for the hormones to totally be gone, but after that, you might find him far more loving again.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I hope he feels better in time for his big day. After that, you need to give it a few weeks for the hormone levels to go down. It's best to get him to stay indoors, out of trouble. The good news is that it's doable and he can live a long happy life indoors!
[article="33261"]The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside  [/article]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stevenboots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, Boots got to feeling a lot better and back to normal a couple hours after returning from the vet.. Vet called and asked how he was doing. Said now that he was feeling O.K. to bring him in Thursday for the neutering.

Dropped Boots off at 8:30 AM and picked him up at 3:00 PM. Vet said keep him in a couple days. Got home and opened the carrier next to his dish. Didn't need to ask him if he wanted to come out. He stumbled around a little. We were having a heck of a time keeping him in as we were going in and out.

About 8:00 PM I opened the porch door and there was a black-n-white streak right passed my legs. To late. He walked around a bit then sat on his tree on the porch. About 9:30 I thought I'd bring him in before he wandered off. To late. I was up till 2:00 AM calling and looking for him. I finally went to bed kinda worried.

8:00 AM I was on the porch having my coffee and thought I'd at least call a couple time and see if he showed up. So I call. Then spotted him laying under a bush by the fence. He got up and came right to the porch. (Oh. Did I mention that around 8:00 AM is food and PATE TIME?) Right in the house and to the food dish, just like nothing was out of the ordinary. Except that part about Mommy and Daddy wondering where Boots is.

He pretty much has stayed around the house and porch since yesterday morning. Seems he wants to be near somebody all the time now. Last night he was on my lap, on my desk, in my chair. For some reason he didn't come in the bedroom last night. He slept on my chair. He has been right here all day. No roaming into the woods. And is suddenly so lovable all day.

Heres a picture of him sleeping on my desk while I watch a movie. When I put my hand on the mouse he would reach out and put a paw on my hand. Don't know what thats all about.

Well. Back to working on the rose bushes.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's no doubt that he's feeling the surgery, but it isn't totally unheard of that newly neutered toms begin showing some changes right away.  After all, those missing bits are no longer pumping hormones out 24/7, double time when the queen next door goes into heat!   You may very well end up with a lazy lapcat that has no desire to go further than the front yard.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

Heres a picture of him sleeping on my desk while I watch a movie. When I put my hand on the mouse he would reach out and put a paw on my hand. Don't know what thats all about.

That is so sweet.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's the sweetest feeling in the world when they "hold hands" with you.  It means that they want your touch.  It means love.