Kittens with nasal discharge

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a "for future reference" post. Three of the four ~9 week old kittens I just got into an adoption program had some nasal discharge that they're now being treated for. There was some brown discharge on their muzzles below the eyes, but their eyes weren't gunked up. These kittens lived outdoors prior to this last weekend. In photos taken two weeks before, there's no sign of infection. They are otherwise apparently healthy and not sneezing. All tested negative for FIV/FeLV.

I've seen this on other kittens. Does it tend to be viral or bacterial in nature?

Their foster care provider has gotten them their first FVRCP and has the three with the discharge on antibiotics.

I've fostered a number of adult cats, but not many kittens, so I'm not as experienced with kitten care. Their mother is semi-feral and has had no vaccinations. I'll be trapping her next week for surgery and shots.

silmarien

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like either a cold, allergies, or a viral Upper Respiratory infection.  If it's the latter, then you only need a vet if the kittens are really badly sick for more than 10 days.  It could be any of the three, really.  Eye discharge isn't a requirement for any of these things.

Hopefully it's just sniffles, or allergies. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I am not an expert but from recent experience -  a little brownish discharge dried at the corner of the eye is not uncommon but is sometimes associated with Feline Herpes Virus.  The feline herpes virus can cause tiny ulcers on the eye and in the upper respiratory tract which will be painful and also prone to bacterial infection - which is when the virus tends to be noticeable.  Many cats carry FHV but if they have strong immune systems they may never show any signs, or nothing more than an occasional little sneeze, cough or clear running eye for a few days and then it will clear up.  If more run down or their immune system is compromised for some reason the herpes virus tends to get hold of their system a little more and break out, and then they will be prone to repeated bacterial infections. 

The virus can be contracted from contact with an actively infected cat - often in confined quarters such as a cattery, and can also passed from queen to kitten at birth if the mother is stressed or unwell.  Some kittens infected by their mother sadly may not survive and others will be totally fine but perhaps show signs of the virus later in life.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Disclaimer:
Caring for ones companion animals is a very serious responsibility, and often, in light of that concern, members will create threads seeking information from other members. While we allow and encourage expression of opinions and the recounting of personal experiences, it is the forum's official position that no online advice can ever supercede or replace the care and advice of trained medical professionals who have first hand knowledge of the individual animal's condition. We strongly urge members to refrain from advocating the practice of ignoring medical advice.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

Sounds like either a cold, allergies, or a viral Upper Respiratory infection.  If it's the latter, then you only need a vet if the kittens are really badly sick for more than 10 days.  It could be any of the three, really.  Eye discharge isn't a requirement for any of these things.

Hopefully it's just sniffles, or allergies. 
It's impossible to diagnose this online, of course. It can also be a bacterial infection, or the kittens can develop a secondary bacterial infection. Only a veterinarian can diagnose that and antibiotics may certainly be required.

Also, it's not true that vets can't do anything for viral infections. When the feline herpes virus attacks, for example, it can also infect the eyes bringing on ocular herpes. I am not talking about the usual discharge and eye infection that you see with FVR, but actual ocular herpes (caused by the very same virus), which can only be diagnosed by a vet. When that happens, you absolutely have to get the right topical anti-viral treatment for your cat, or you risk the cornea becoming scarred. The cat's sight can be impaired to the point of blindness is left untreated. That's from a viral infection, not a bacterial one.

Also, any kind of respiratory infection in kittens or cats can deteriorate real fast and real bad. Simple dehydration and loss of appetite due to a stuffy nose can kill a cat sometimes. Waiting for ten days before seeing a vet means putting your cat's life at risk. Not only may you be missing out on antibiotics in case of a bacterial infection, but you could lose the cat without proper supportive care. If any kitten is ever badly sick even for a few hours or a day, it needs to be rushed to the vet. No two ways about that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies.

To reiterate, the kittens in question are under the medical care of an SPCA clinic by a fosterer at her home to quarantine them before transitioning them into their adoption program. They are receiving treatment.

I'm not asking about a diagnosis for a specific case. I'm just trying to establish a "decision tree" for future reference.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the replies.

To reiterate, the kittens in question are under the medical care of an SPCA clinic by a fosterer at her home to quarantine them before transitioning them into their adoption program. They are receiving treatment.

I'm not asking about a diagnosis for a specific case. I'm just trying to establish a "decision tree" for future reference.
I appreciate what you are attempting to do, but it is always going to be really difficult to cover all the possibilites, even a small number of them.  There are some things more common than others but also limitless other health issues which even the most knowledgable and experienced vets may need to research and seek advice on.  Probably the best thing you can do for your kittens is to keep a record of what you know about their early life, and any sypmtoms you observe while they are with you - like the brown discharge and the nasal discharge, but especially anything which you have not sought veterinary consultation for as that would  not be passed on in any transfer of vet records yet prove vital in a vet reaching a prompt and accurate diagnosis in future years.