Kittens with bald raw circle on faces

szumerspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had 5 kittens almost 2 wks ago (I got my male cat neutered first and was going to spay my female next, but I didn't know they are still fertile for a while after neutering!)

On day 2 I noticed one kitten had a circular raw bald patch on his/her cheek. It looked about perfect size to be another kitten trying to nurse on his face. I was keeping close eye on him and the hair is now almost grown back.

But just now I noticed another kitten has the exact same circular patches on its face! Both sides (one more pronounced than the other)

I can't get them to the vet until next week. I can't find anything on the internet. Has anyone seen this? Is it possible it could be from a kitten suckling on another face? Or is there something else that might be causing this?

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you post any photos? My first thought is that it could be ringworm.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like it could be ringworm to me too. They'll need to see a vet as soon as possible, whatever it is.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't know! That doesn't look like ringworm to me, more like an open wound. A burst abscess? I would try to get them to the vet as soon as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

szumerspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to buy a car today, the nearest vet is 30 miles away so I can't get there until I get a car but i will take them as soon as I do. Hopefully I can get one today and take them tomorrow.

It's not a burst abscess. I know its hard to see from the picture because of the flash, but the skin isn't torn or open at all. It's more that the hair is gone and the skin is raw almost like an abrasion. The first kitten cheek was like that for a day or so, then it got a light scab, the the hair started to grow back. Right now it's a very light coating of fur. That's why I thought it was a wound from another kitten trying to nurse. Until I saw it on the 2nd kitten. The other 3 kittens are fine.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's a kitten sucking away the fur, it could do it to more than one kitten.  Can you set up a web cam to watch the kittens so you can see if that is the problem?

szumerspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I don't have one. I was thinking it was nursing because its on the face. It seemed pretty reasonable to me that a blind kitten could smell the milk a sibling is getting and in trying to get to the same nipple attach itself to the face of the sibling instead.

I had looked all over the Internet and couldn't find anything, but I just now had a brainstorm on a different search string to use and bingo, I came up with a lot.

Apparently, its common and its called dry suckling. Multiple websites say it can cause lesions or other injuries to the kitten being nurse on. They do always seem to be struggling to find enough nipples.

I will still take them to the vet to confirm as soon as possible. But in the meantime, I have already been supplementing the runt with kmr because he's always getting pushed out. Perhaps I should supplement them all so they aren't struggling as hard to get a nipple.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would help if you could weigh them every day to make sure they are getting enough. It sounds like they could all use a little extra.

szumerspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will see if I can get my hands on a food or postal scale. Something that can detect that amount of weight. I have been keeping an eye on their bellies, which are always round and whenever I hear loud meowing I go help shuffle then around so they all get a nipple. But I will start supplementing them all, try and get a scale and take them to the vet as soon as I can. Thanks for all the advice!

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently had a bare patch on my new 8 month old kittie's face.  It turned out he had a really bad case of ear mites and he had scratched himself so much that he had an open sore!  Not sure that is what your kitties have, but it is something to consider.  My cat was not shaking his head or scratching his ears much or doing anything else I usually associate with ear mites.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think your idea that it was from suckling is a distinct possibility. The fact it is only found on these 2 kittens, and has already cleared up on one of them, leads me to believe that your theory is correct. I think you will know soon, if the second kitten clears up following your rotating the kittens and supplementing to make sure they are all getting enough milk.

If it does clear up and does not re-occur, there is no rush to see the vet. Please keep us posted, and thank you for your efforts! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

szumerspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: I apologize for taking so long, it's been crazy!

The spots did clear up and haven't recurred. Everyone is healthy and happy.

Thank you all for your responses! We have decided to keep all the kittens! It's the only way we can guarantee a good home for everyone! We are scheduling everyone for spay/neuter very soon :)