Kittens will only use one litterbox?

jreiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know where exactly this would go. Now that Kaylee is on the mend, and both kittens are happy, I finally realized how weird this is. They are three and a half months old, and they only will use one litter box. I have three, all the same size, and it has been like this since I brought them home. I have one in their crate, one is across the room, and another is in the unused bathroom on the same floor. I have introduced them to all three repeatedly, but they still only use the one in the crate. They will even wait until I am done cleaning both the litter and the crate to use that one. Should I be worried, or are these two just weird. 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm.  Maybe they like the privacy of the one in the box?  You could try putting some of their "business" into the other boxes to make them smell like they've gone there.  Or rotate the boxes in and out of the crate.  They may change this with time.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is not unusual for litter mates to all use the same box. My sibling pair shared 1 forever, but did eventually spread out to using the others. I agree that perhaps spreading their scent into the other boxes and showing it to them may help encourage the other boxes to getting used, but I wouldn't be concerned if all they want right now is to share 1.

aapelca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 4 cats.  3 adults and one kitten.  I have 3 litter boxes, they each use all of them.  However, it is not uncommon for a cat to use just one litter box.  They become familiar with that box, it has there scent in it and it is like a preference, they just like it.  Try putting there business in the other boxes and introduce them to them again.  If that doesn't work, don't worry about it.  Nothing unusual, and count your blessings.  At least you only have to clean out one litter box.  Good Luck!

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My two also like to use the same litter box, so I just have the one now. The are not litter mates and are even different ages. I was really glad this happened because they both use the litter robot which is self cleaning. I dont think it is a problem as long as they seem happy using the one. 

aapelca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The only time it will become a problem for cats to share the same litter box is when one of them has worms.  If that is the case you want the one with the worms to use a separate litter box so it can't be transferred to the other cats.