kittens under the sofa

rabbit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is my biggest fear right now. I've set up a nesting box for Mary, lined it with newspaper and towel (sticking an old receiving blanket in there in the am) and set it in a nice spot for her. She spent maybe a minute in it, got out and hasn't been back to the box. Mary spends a fair amount of time under the sofa, and at this point I think I'd prefer kittens in my closet than under the sofa.

Is it possible that she'd be incredibly stressed out by me blocking off access to the sofa? Or could I possibly move the litter later on? It would be tricky, But I guess I could prep that area too with towels, blankets and newspaper. Is there a possibility that she'll still have them elsewhere?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, that is a problem. You never know with moms and their nest-preferances.

Although one aspect is they often tend to avoid the nest before it is needed.

I believe in the wild they dont want to get the nest smelly, so they dont take it before it is needed.

They try and look out possible nests in advance, but occupy it first when it is time.  And move when it become smelly or they by any other reason feel unsecure there.

It is not as touchy for home cats, but still, a reason why they seem picky with the nest, in to the last moment.

Of course, if you want to be sure not to have them under the sofa, the only way is to block off it.

Its good you do have a couple of alternatives, so she feels the choice is hers.

Good luck!