Kittens, Umbellical Cords, And Stillborn. Advice Please

Mittysmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a stray that adopted us. She just gave birth to 9 kittens total a few hours ago. One was dead when i found momma this morning. 8 living 1 dead. What do i do with the dead one? And some of the cords are still attached. Should i cut them? Theubare wrapping around eachother. Please help. 1st time having a cat and first litter.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bury the dead kitten.

Definitely cut the cords right away about one inch from the naval. It’s not safe to leave the cords. You can pinch them off with your fingers.

Are they inside your home in a nest with mom?

Eight kittens is alot! Be prepared to supplement the runts if necessary.

Can you post a picture? Thank you for taking mom in!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mittysmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She still hasnt cleaned up much. Should i move her to a fresh bed? How do i go about cutting them? Im a nervous wreck

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd move them to fresh bedding and trim the cords as Sarthur2 Sarthur2 said. Get quick weights on them all as you move them. I'd go ahead and get kmr and bottles now because you likely will need them. It's better to have it on hand. You'll need to supplement feed any kitten who isn't gaining weight. That mom hasn't cleaned them yet could mean she is exhausted or that she doesn't know what to do.

You can try moving the kittens closer to her head to see if she starts. If she doesn't you will need to clean them with a warm damp cloth and dry them.

Mittysmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Where should i cut the cord? Close to kitten? Leave an inch?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, leave an inch. It will dry up and fall off in a few days. It’s easy. No fears.

Get them on clean, dry bedding asap.

Do wipe the babies down with a warm, damp cloth if they need cleaning.

Mom must be very exhausted!

Mittysmommy Mittysmommy

Mittysmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is tired! I got them cut and cleaned them off and on a new clean bed. She is cleaning herself a little but i tried to help her clean up a bit aswell. Thank you! I can breathe now. Does anyone know why one died?

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nine kittens is alot of kittens. It could have been a birth defect of some sort, possibly internal. It could have been too long of a labor and the kitten tried to breath before it came out. It could have been that it was strangled by it's cord or the other cords inside. It could have died before labor started for any number of reasons. There are too many things that could have happened but there is nothing you or anyone could have done about any of them.

Focus on keeping the remaining eight alive and healthy. Momma is really going to need your help on that front. Here are some other large litter threads that may help you on that front.

10 teeny weeny kittens
Advice for a large litter - 9 kittens!

Biggest thing is keep them fed and warm. Weigh them daily so you know as soon as someone starts struggling. You will also want to call around to some rescues or shelters in the area to see if you can get all of the family spayed/neutered once the kittens are weaned and hopefully find homes for them.

Mittysmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will definitely be getting them spayed/neutered! Thank you all so much! I will try to get a weight on them soon. They all look very similar.. is there a good way to tell them apart, to make sure they are gaining?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will definitely be getting them spayed/neutered! Thank you all so much! I will try to get a weight on them soon. They all look very similar.. is there a good way to tell them apart, to make sure they are gaining?
Check for unique markings on each, one white paw, white spot, etc. In a few days you should be able to tell by any size difference that emerges. I've heard of people using a small amount of food dye on a paw/white spot of fur (dip a q tip in food dye and smudge on, it would have to be reapplied every few days. I'd avoid red since that is the color people tend to react to) or a tiny drop of nail polish on a tiny claw. There is also a piece of yarn or paper wristbands, but I'd worry about upsetting mom or it getting eaten or interferring with her picking them up or grooming at this age.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please keep us posted as we want to make sure all 8 babies do well.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! They are all low birth weights except #6. Anything under 90 grams is considered low.

You should get kitten formula and begin supplementing the kittens 1-2 mLs with a syringe every 2 hours to help them.

You'll want to divide them into 2 sets and rotate them with mom every 2 hours. The ones not with mom need to be kept warm nearby.

How many functioning nipples does mom have?

Mittysmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read 90 grams is typically premature weight. And all of them except one are not even that big. Should i supplement then? Where do i buy the things i will need? Amd what do i need?

Mittysmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How do i know if they are functioning nipples? Sorry. New cat mom and i am clueless!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The mammaries would appear to have milk; nipples might be crusty with dried milk. Kittens are suckling on them.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Several are rather low. So do rotate them. 4 smallest on momma while 4 biggest take their midday nap in an extra little nest with a heating pad. Switch after every 90-120 minutes. You have Alert situation till you clearly notice they do add. Mittysmommy Mittysmommy