Kittens stuck to eachother and mama's tail

traj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, this is starting to get a little strange... The four kittens are all sticking to what looks to be afterbirth. Mama's tail is also stuck in the afterbirth. Mama walks around and kittens are dragged along beneath her. How fragile are the kittens? I'm about to start cutting hair and pull them all apart. Mama doesn't seem to be all that crazy about detaching them from eachother and am afraid they are not going to be able to nurse in this situation. Should I start pouring warm water on them to help them become disconnected? I'd let nature takes it course but I'm afraid of mama becoming irritated with the clump of kittens dragging beneath her...

cupcake1234516

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
call your local vets and ask them what should be done. How lobg have they been like that?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If this is truly happening get these babies and mama to the vet NOW! Don't start cutting anything, let an experienced vet tech or vet work on these kittens and mama.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is one of the strangest things i've ever heard! Are the kittens just born? Are they still attached to the cords?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

traj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just returned from the vet. Turned out that after they were born mama continously rolled around twisting the cords and her tail in to afterbirth. This caused the kittens to have practically no cord visible. It looked like the kittens stomachs were directly stuck to the afterbirth. The vet was able to first cut her tail out of the after birth. After that the vet was able to cut into the afterbirth to cut one of the cords. Once the first kitten was free the rest simply pulled away from the afterbirth.

Everything is going well now. She is nursing them all and taking care of them like I would expect. Thanks for the advice. I ran out of here pretty quickly and forgot to post... I'm sure you all understand.
I'll take some pics and post them later.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh whew...i'm so glad to hear that everything was resolved. What a crazy situation...thank goodness you got into the vet right away! Can't wait to see the pictures!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by bengalbabe

That is one of the strangest things i've ever heard! Are the kittens just born? Are they still attached to the cords?
I have run across this one time. It wasn't a pretty sight, and it was only two kittens stuck to mom. The kittens turned out to be cojoined and premature and had to be euthanized, Mom was spayed immediately.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

I have run across this one time. It wasn't a pretty sight, and it was only two kittens stuck to mom. The kittens turned out to be cojoined and premature and had to be euthanized, Mom was spayed immediately.
With one of my last litters, three of the kittens got stuck hanging on momma by the cords-but not at the same times. I cut the cords as they were hanging there.

I can't understand how the heck that cat got all of the kittens out with the afterbirth obviously still inside her.

Now I wonder in my case if i had not cut each kitten off as they were born if that would have happened to my cat too!

In this case, Momma cat probably rolled to rip the cords off but it obviously didn't work.

traj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, have some pics. I created an animated gif of them but since its so small I'll post some larger ones as well. The pictures are kind of poor in quality because they were taken with my phone. Mook (momma) wouldn't accept any other place in the house other than a closet under my stairs. No matter where we tried getting her to hold up she would just pick up a kitten and run to that closet. Well, we gave in and let her have the closet. The lighting isn't helping the pictures either. Hopefully I'll have better shots of them in the next few days.

Wow....what an experience... This made my day go by so fast!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad it has all worked out....now you have to ensure that mom doesn't have the opportunity to get back outdoors until she has weaned her kittens and is spayed.

Katie

traj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Will do regarding the spaying.

I'm a little concerned for one of the kittens. Its the smallest of the bunch but not that small... The kitten I'mn concerned about was apart from the other kittens this morning and when I picked her up I found her to be a little cool and not moving very well towards Mook to nurse... I'm thinking of going to the store to get one of those nursing bottles I read about in one of the other threads and some goat milk. Good idea?

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely! You can also try KMR milk replacer. Also in the meantime try and help the little one latch on to Mom by guiding it to a nipple.

traj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm thinking of seperating the other kittens for about 20 minutes as well so the "runt" can get a better chance at nursing. Its almost as if the other kittens whines are pulling Mook away from the little runt to feed them...