Kittens still have diarrhea

hdeal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted 2 kitten (same litter), about 2 months ago. They are now 5 months old. They have had diarrhea since we brought them home. We have tried pumpkin, clay, anal gland support meds. But they still have very loose stools. And smell really bad when they fart. We were told they were healthy, the vet said they are healthy but they cannot seem to control the bowels.we just started today with healthier food. What else can I do? What exactly is anal expressing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hdeal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

What are you feeding them now?

I've not had to do this, but has the vet said they need this done?
No but I saw people talking about it so I was curious

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Anal expressing is something that is normally done by a Vet, often when they are under anesthesia for something because it's easier that way. At our clinic, they incorporate it into a dental, along with nail trimming. The anal glands are on either side of the anus, and when they have a bowel movement, if the stool is firm enough, that should automatically express the glands. If the stool is too soft, that might not happen and the glands can become impacted. Your Vet would have checked for this.

As far as the diarrhea, did they do a fecal exam to check for any type of parasite? Worms? Kittens often come with worms and need to be dewormed a couple of times. It could be something like Giardia or Coccidia, which should show up in a fecal.

Of course, it could also be food, but for two kittens to have this issue, I'm thinking food would be the last issue rather than the first. BUT, it really depends on what you are feeding them. If it's too rich, that could be the problem. Or if you're giving them milk, that could also cause diarrhea.

You could try giving them S. Boulardi, a probiotic, which usually helps with this issue, but if it's caused by a parasite I'm not sure how much it will help. If you go this route, I would give them 1/4 capsule mixed into their food, twice a day and slowly increase that to 1/2 capsule twice a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hdeal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anal expressing is something that is normally done by a Vet, often when they are under anesthesia for something because it's easier that way. At our clinic, they incorporate it into a dental, along with nail trimming. The anal glands are on either side of the anus, and when they have a bowel movement, if the stool is firm enough, that should automatically express the glands. If the stool is too soft, that might not happen and the glands can become impacted. Your Vet would have checked for this.

As far as the diarrhea, did they do a fecal exam to check for any type of parasite? Worms? Kittens often come with worms and need to be dewormed a couple of times. It could be something like Giardia or Coccidia, which should show up in a fecal.

Of course, it could also be food, but for two kittens to have this issue, I'm thinking food would be the last issue rather than the first. BUT, it really depends on what you are feeding them. If it's too rich, that could be the problem. Or if you're giving them milk, that could also cause diarrhea.

You could try giving them S. Boulardi, a probiotic, which usually helps with this issue, but if it's caused by a parasite I'm not sure how much it will help. If you go this route, I would give them 1/4 capsule mixed into their food, twice a day and slowly increase that to 1/2 capsule twice a day.
They were both examined at the vet recently and no parasites, worms or anything were found. The vet said if it continues they would need a full workup. So one was really bad and then today she is better , the other just started it today. My husband thinks they passed an illness back and forth maybe. Or they are stressed?