Kittens starting raw

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to grind some egg shells up until they can chew on bones. I've decided I don't want to do ground meat. I've been chopping it up & am working toward bigger and bigger pieces until they can handle bone. They have had chicken thigh, liver, heart and quail eggs. I'm going to try and find some chicken heads for the eyes and brains.
Can you give us an idea of exactly what you are feeding your babies every day?

You seem to understand now that you need to include a calcium source like eggshell. In case it isn't clear it is *critical* that you include calcium in their diet. This is especially true with kittens. Their bones are growing rapidly and if you don't provide enough calcium you can do them very serious harm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenvanornum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My three kittens are still able to eat kibble, they don't eat very much though of it since they prefer the raw meat, I've been cutting up thigh meat 3 to 4 times a day, they have gotten heart and liver once a week the past two weeks and quail egg twice now.

jenvanornum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is a question, does anyone know if it is ok to buy frozen animals from reptile food dealers? Is it the same quality? Does it not matter? I found a site that sells whole frozen rabbit, quail, rats, mice etc.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My three kittens are still able to eat kibble, they don't eat very much though of it since they prefer the raw meat, I've been cutting up thigh meat 3 to 4 times a day, they have gotten heart and liver once a week the past two weeks and quail egg twice now.
Keep feeding the dry food for now or switch to canned. The occasional raw meat with heart and liver is not a balanced meal on its own. Are you doing frankenprey? The rule of thumb is 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 5% organs, and 5% secreting organs for a balanced diet.
Here is a question, does anyone know if it is ok to buy frozen animals from reptile food dealers? Is it the same quality? Does it not matter? I found a site that sells whole frozen rabbit, quail, rats, mice etc.
Some people here do feed frozen rodents meant for reptiles. Be sure to check the source.

Hare-Today.com is a popular web site to buy raw meats for pet food use. MyPetCarnivore is another one. On the West Coast, there's Whole Foods 4 Pets.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My advice to you is to go back to a 100% commerical processed food, kibble or canned, until you understand how to provide a nutritionally balanced diet to your kittens. As fast as they are growing they are very seriously in danger of developing malformed skeletons because of a lack of calcium in their diet.

cattreats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some people here do feed frozen rodents meant for reptiles. Be sure to check the source.

Hare-Today.com is a popular web site to buy raw meats for pet food use. MyPetCarnivore is another one. On the West Coast, there's Whole Foods 4 Pets.
 RodentPro.com is also a great source with even better prices. I know many reptile breeders that absolutely love RP, and I did a lot of comparing between RP and H-T and found RP to be much cheaper, especially for bulk. But, H-T has a few things that you can't find from RP (like pinkie rabbits and extra small / small guinea pigs from H-T). Also, if I'm not mistaken, MPC doesn't even offer whole prey. The quality of the feeders is excellent -- It's not going to be bad just because it's for reptiles or anything. I have been told that PetSmart and PetCo feeders are TERRIBLE. 
 So, I wouldn't recommend that, even for a one-time thing. I've read a ton of reviews about how the prey has a nauseating odor, and their pet usually wouldn't touch it. However, I've heard the opposite about RP and H-T feeders -- very fresh looking, no odor, and their pets love them. 

Pro Tip: I did a ton of math, and I have seen that adult feeders are much cheaper than babies in all species. So, you save a lot more the older the prey is and the more you order. I personally got pinkies for transitioning to whole prey as well as having some around for treats/snacks, but I make the bulk of the diet adults because you will spend an absolute FORTUNE trying to revolve the diet primarily on pinkies and stuff.

jenvanornum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awesome info 'cat treats'. Do you still feed whole with the older? Or cut it up, I'm picking up some feeder rabbit and mice today.

cattreats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awesome info 'cat treats'. Do you still feed whole with the older? Or cut it up, I'm picking up some feeder rabbit and mice today.
Saffron didn't need any enticing the first time she was given whole prey. She got so excited at the prospect that I was giving her a real mouse and just went nuts.
 So yeah, I always feed completely whole prey and just hold onto leftovers until the next meal.