Kittens scratching her c section incision

Amandab2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Newbie here! My cat had a c section today and the kittens claws and scratching her incision and it’s starting to bleed a little. Vet is closed now, any advice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amandab2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
These were taken before c section. She delivered 4 on her own and they thought there was another one inside so they did a c section without an X-ray. There was not another kitten 😡 I was so upset. The vet insisted she needed a c section because he could feel one but it ended up being her bladder!! So not now my poor cat had an unnecessary surgery after giving birth.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What a shame! I’ll never understand these vets who don’t perform x-rays or ultrasounds prior to surgery. It’s unprofessional. Poor mama kitty!

You can apply coconut oil to the incision area to give some relief and protection, but your best bet would be to syringe feed the kittens yourself for a few days to let the incision heal a bit.

Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

How old are the kittens? Did they give mom an antibiotic shot and pain meds to take at home?

Amandab2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They were born yesterday and no, neither.

Amandab2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a shame! I’ll never understand these vets who don’t perform x-rays or ultrasounds prior to surgery. It’s unprofessional. Poor mama kitty!

You can apply coconut oil to the incision area to give some relief and protection, but your best bet would be to syringe feed the kittens yourself for a few days to let the incision heal a bit.

Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

How old are the kittens? Did they give mom an antibiotic shot and pain meds to take at home?
Will the kittens go back to feeding on mama fairly easy and what about mama not getting fed on with all that milk accumulating in there?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Geez, and they really need their mom. Please call the vet and ask for antibiotics and pain meds. She needs both and they are standard protocol for spays.

One thing you can do is gently trim each kitten’s front claws. Just trim the very tips and it should help to lessen the scratching. You’d be surprised how sharp those tiny claws can be!

For future reference, and the vet should have known this, if a cat has another kitten inside, they will normally deliver it within a few hours or even a day or two. I always advise leaving the mother cat be, unless she is in distress. Also, cats have lumpy bellies after delivering, and even after delivery contractions which help to shrink mom’s uterus back to normal. Lots of folks think the lumpy belly and occasional contractions are a kitten, but it’s usually not, and I always advise waiting.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you begin feeding the kittens yourself, it’s literally every 2 hours around the clock. Trim their nails and try to keep them on mom. How is mom doing? Is she eating and drinking?

Amandab2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s doing great actually. Eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom just fine. Thank you for the info. It’s very helpful!