kitten's playful biting

onthebrink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Starlight is 13 weeks. She is a great cat and we are having so much fun with her!

She bites us playfully, but it's annoying and hurts. Why does she do this? What can I do to stop her? I am certain that she's just playing - not mean. Any ideas?

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried yelping or saying ouch when she bites you? She might not realize that she's hurting you. But don't draw back quickly- keep your hand/ankle where it was and then move slowly away. A quickly withdrawing body part reminds her of prey and also teaches her that she can control your movements by biting you.

Kittens and adult cats do wrestle and play fight and she's playing with you. I'm guessing that she's an only cat? Try distracting her before she bites by tossing a toy to her. You could keep one in your pocket.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

onthebrink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, she is an only cat. And there are 4 of us home full time this summer (mom, dad, 5 year old girl, toddler boy), so she has lots of prey/playmates!

Thanks for the tips! I do the same thing you suggested when my toddler bit while nursing - and it work!ed Not sure why I didn't think of that with Starlight!

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yup, that's what I did with two of my rabbits, because they came from a neglect/abuse situation. Stand your ground and yelp, and they realize they can't get frighten you away but that you're not going to hurt them, either.