Kittens nursing on stuffed animals??

marycatherine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of our kittens, the larger male Mosby, loves to nurse on two particular stuffed animals-- both have long soft fur. He's 2 months old and certainly eats his dry and wet food, but every time he sees one of these animals he runs over and starts kneading and licking the animals. He looks like he thinks he's actually getting something sometimes (which I figure is just his own spit, poor thing
). After five minutes with one of the animals he rolls over with this contented look on his face. I try to grab him, because it leaves the animals pretty wet and icky, but he's a pretty vocal protester, like he thinks I'm interrupting his snack!

Anyone else have this happen? Did it go away with time? I'm not particularly concerned, just think it's funny and am curious!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perfectly normal. He may grow out of it or do it all his life. Bibbs
did it all her life. She had a big stuffed snow leopard, it was three times her size so she could lie right on top of it, knead and nuzzle, then curl up and have a nap, all without ever changing her spot.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Too sweet! Consider yourself lucky - my cat does that to me when I let her. I wouldn't mind so much if only she would keep her claws in!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not uncommon in kittens taken from mum too soon, my sister has a 5-6 year old who still does it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure the stuffed toys are kitten proof - no eyes or noses that could come off, and make sure there's no loose strings. Otherwise, let them have the toys since it brings them comfort. A lot of newer stuffed toys wash up ok in the washing machine so when they get a little funky you can just toss them in.