Kittens Nursing at 10weeks?

johnts71

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
mine were nursing till 10 weeks too but I just got mama spayed. the vet told me to keep them separated cause of that. i now have them with punkin and shes playing with them...they will be ok with her right? just hope she isnt too rough with them.

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JohnTS71

mine were nursing till 10 weeks too but I just got mama spayed. the vet told me to keep them separated cause of that. i now have them with punkin and shes playing with them...they will be ok with her right? just hope she isnt too rough with them.
A small time apart from each other should not harm the kittens or the mother (As long as the kittens are old enough to be eating and using the litterbox on their own, and are not at an age where they definately need mom's milk to survive.) Ten weeks is a perfect time to spay the mom.

johnts71

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok thanks. the mama cat kept us up last night meowing..her 2 kids were sleeping with her last night but for some reason she wouldnt stop till like 3am. right now her 2 kids are playing and the mama is in our bedroom. i just hope she doesnt tear up the carpet while im gone

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I let my rex queens nurse as long as they wanted. Had kits nurse at 3 months - more of a comfort thing. As long as mom is in good shape and not to skinny/stressed out, I'd let them go.

Mom and kits were fine when they stopped.

I WANT that little silver male

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I let my rex queens nurse as long as they wanted. Had kits nurse at 3 months - more of a comfort thing. As long as mom is in good shape and not to skinny/stressed out, I'd let them go.

Mom and kits were fine when they stopped.

I WANT that little silver male
She was asking if seperating them so that the mom dries up for spaying (as her vet suggested was okay, not if she should let them nurse at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happymoonbelly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is great to hear, I am so glad I came to this forum!!

I decided on a compromise of sorts for the time being....Since her surgery is coming up, I want her to get used to periods of isolation that don't feel like a punishment so that when she needs her time alone to heal its not a bad feeling. I am taking off work for the day it happens, and then I am home that weekend and I am planning on chilling out in the bedroom with a bunch of DVDs and hanging out with her for the first few days.

I also want to make sure her nipples are getting smaller so that it won't be a problem with the surgery when it occurs. I hadn't thought of that, and also since she won't be using them after every again, well....

So, when we are not at home, she is in the bedroom with all her amenities, and then together with eveyrone when we are home....and then a little bit with us at night with the door closed when going to bed, and then with them in the morning too. It's a bit convuleted, and I am only going to do it until Friday - but I figure it will just be a small amount of this experience in a way that won't seem mean or damaging our relationship with her either.

The kittens all piled on and slept with her this morning for awhile without trying to suckle, so that was good. Truly, they dont' really want to nurse for food - they know they have the dry and wet food available and water too it's really just a loving thing I believe.

The silver and white kitten is Apollo and he is SUCH a sweetheart. He loves to be petted and likes cuddles. He is the only one that will come and sleep on us at times....he is really a love. My boyfriend picked him out of the litter as "his" from birth and they actually do have a special connection - its cool to watch.