Kittens Not Getting Along? Or Are They?

Moonlight1092

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!
I do hope I am posting in the correct category. I’m New here
So here’s my situation, on May 24th my parents called asking me if I can take a kitten in for them the mom cat had left him under their lawn furniture and never returned. He was about 4 or 5 weeks. We decided to keep him :) his name is Odin. Yesterday we adopted another kitten who is 8 weeks old and named her frigg. Here is my confusion, yesterday Odin was hissy and growling but today he doesn’t seem to mind. He will eat out of the same bowl as her with no problems even though his own are provided. it seems to be when they play he may be being too rough. He will start out pinning her and licking her then he will start nipping and his ears go back. She then starts whining and hissing and that’s where I start to intervene, however as soon as I separate them she goes right back and try’s to play with him and the same thing happens. Do they actually hate each other or is this normal behavior? Will it get better? I appreciate any advice!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like normal play. I'm assuming she is a good chunk bigger than him by this point, but its not too surprising that she isn't down with rough play given the premature abandonment by mom. Even without abandonment, its really common for one cat to like play more than another, and nothing to worry about if the skittish cat doesn't avoid the other. I'm guessing that once she gets to trust him a bit more, she'll start wumping him, but you never know and it doesn't matter much -- you can let them be. Cats hold grudges and if she was being hurt you'd see the evidence in avoidance behavior all the time, not just during play.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens like to wrestle and “play fight”. This video shows what pretend fighting looks like: