Kittens Not Eating

BiBiJayde

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have 14 foster babies all roughly the same age 6 to 7 weeks. They started eating solids great had no issues they always demanded more when the bowls were empty and gained weight. The past few days they are just not interested in any food iv tried every brand of wet and dry I can get my hands on. Iv tried roast chicken, tuna and any other meat I can think of. Iv mixed it with KMR, water, goats milk iv tried heating it up. They are starting to loose weight now and I’m starting to get concerned now. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what I can do.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you try force feeding them? Have you tried straight bottle feeding them with no wet food? I know a litter of kittens that bottle feed until they were 8 weeks old. Maybe your babies would take to the bottle. You can also try giving them nutrical for extra nutrients.

Also, are they drinking water? It’s important that they do not get dehydrated, because that always makes everything worse.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you foster for a shelter? If so, you need to consult their vet. Kittens can go downhill very, very quickly when not eating. Are they pooping/peeing normally? I was going to suggest adding KMR or goats milk to their food, but since you tried this and it didn't work this may need a vet's intervention. Don't let this go on any longer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BiBiJayde

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are drinking water fine. They don’t want a bottle with KMR iv managed to force feed them not that they are impressed with me for it. Toileting fine I thought it may be the heat but iv got them booked into the vet to be sure.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As said, this is prob a vet case. Some virus catched them all, or something...

If they drink OK, but not eats, you can buy time by giving them flavorless pedialyte to drink. Or make your own. Its the dextrose content which is somewaht nourishing, enough to keep them alive for a while.
Preferably with real dextrose / glucose sugar, but otherwise you can add some white caro syrup or honey. WCS perhaps, its less intensive sweet than honey.
A basic receipt is 1 cup of water, 1 teaspoon honey, a trifle salt. With dextrose you can give 1,5 teaspoons, its much less sweet. 2 teaspoons even, if they are willing.

Alternatively you can try to dilute goats milk till they drink. Or mix up some cat food till its soupy and they drink.
Hej, chicken or pidgeon soup is a classic from concerned Jewish moms and aunts to save sick children. Works surely on kittens too.

BiBiJayde

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on the kittens I lost two in the space of 12 hours the others were rushed to the vet and I have a case of parvovirus. Does anyone have any advice for what I’m about to deal with? Iv already isolated everyone and scrubbed every surface and anything they came into contact with. I’m ready for the round the clock care and that chances are I’ll loose more.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for the loss of the two kittens! Hopefully you and the vet can save all the others! My thoughts are with you and the kittens!

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry they have parvo. I personally don’t have any experience, but I know I’ve seen many other cat moms on this site that have threads all about it. Perhaps you could search for parvo threads to get as much info as possible.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I will mention again the pedialyte advice. Useful in many situations, and not least, with very weak ones, more or less dying. In such a situation, the digestion has often stopped, so its no point with trying to get food into them. It will not be digested...
But pedialyte, bought or homemade, does still give them some nutrition, as dextrose / glucose sugar doesnt need to be digested... Its no remedicum. Are they dieing for real so they are dieing. But it may buy you time for healing processes to get into work.

Also, with weak lethargic kittens, smearing a sweet solution of water + dextrose (may be honey or white caro syrup) on lips and gums, gives some quick energhy.
Use honey from small garden producers "raw honey" if you can. Costs a little more but has some potential anti virus properties.

Can you get raw goats milk? It has some extra properties, which MAY come handy in here. Reminds a little about raw honey, so to speak.

L-lysine addition is said to help against some virus. Calici sooner than parvo, I shall admit. But still, cant hurt.

B BiBiJayde

BiBiJayde

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After talking to the rescue we are getting a second opinion tomorrow. I have 3 left in the litter my strongest one is eating like a champ. The other two I’m syringe feeding every 2 hours till they are strong enough to eat enough. They are stable but I know it will only take a second for them to go downhill again.

Thankyou everyone so much for all the advice iv written it down for quick reference if I need it through the night

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry for your losses. May these sweet little angels rest in peace.
It is called distemper or panleukopenia virus in cats. I had a huge epidemic a few years back with my outside cats, I lost two- year old adults and three kittens. It's heartbreaking and we did everything we could, supportive help, vaccinations from the vet, everything. And they still died. Once they get it there is pretty much nothing that can be done except force feeding water and kitten formula, keeping them warm, and loving them. As was said their digestion has pretty much shut down, but keeping them hydrated is the most important thing right now.
The virus is VERY hard to get rid of too, it stays alive for a long time and gets on your clothes, etc. and spreads, so make sure you read up on how to contain it. Every adult we had that had vaccinations came through fine, and older ferals did OK too because they most likely were exposed and lived through it earlier in their lives. All you can do is keep up with what you are doing and pray. Saving those three is an achievement, please know you are doing everything you can, and being with those who died, giving them love and support meant everything to them. Bless you for your caring.

BiBiJayde

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How are the kittens doing? Did they all pull through?
Sorry iv been flat out with kitties that iv not been on! My biggest of the 3 got adopted last week and his thriving I still have the other two boys but we have hit another bump with one. Everyone including the vets are stumped his not well but we can’t work out what’s wrong the other boy is going good but is bonded with the little sick boy so we have to wait for him to go up for adoption.

BiBiJayde

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What symptoms is the sick one showing?
Bloated belly that is rock hard, lethargic, not eating or drinking, diarrhoea that smells terrible and he just looks so sad. His been wormed and on a few different antibiotics his now eating very small amounts of wet I’m still syringe feeding him a slurry mix though.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! It could be parasites. Poor little fellow.

Have you tried metronidazole? Or Albon? How about panacur?

bklyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When the kittens came down with panleuk, was this kitten symptomatic, or did he seem to avoid it completely? I had a litter with panleuk, and there was a two week gap between when the first kitten showed symptoms and when the last did. The last one had a pretty delayed reaction, but she inevitably did get it. The reality is if yours was in contact with the other panleuk-positive kittens and never showed symptoms, he probably hadn't yet gone through it.

I would test for panleuk, and also parasites (coccidia is known for causing pretty nasty diarrhea). It really sounds like a lot of symptoms line up with panleuk, and especially given its presence in your house, makes it much more likely. If it is panleuk, you need to move on supportive care, because the first week is the most critical.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If Panleuk has the same incubation as Parvo, then it's 14 days. Which means that one won't show symptoms for those 14 days.

BiBiJayde

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It didn’t end up being parvo it was these poor babies just had a horrible start to life that when I got the they were fighting an uphill battle. This one who’s sick currently was sick back then he bounced back tho and is sick again. The vet said his had a hard start to life and is so small his going to get sick until his bigger. It just means his with me for awhile and I’m okay with that I love him. His doing better today his eating more on his own and moving slowly now.