Kittens Not Burying In Litter Accurately.. Help

graceyac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

My kittens Naruto and Hinata are 4 months old. They have had a few health issues with their stomachs since I got them and had been having diarrhea so I have been very patient with them as far as litter box oopsies have gone. They are feeling better now but are still struggling when it comes to burying their feces correctly. They definitely try, but end up digging the litter around without covering the feces, and almost always end up stepping in it and track it all over the house. One of them scratches at the hood of the litter box instead of the litter a lot too. Almost every time they use the box they have to have paw baths after to clean up.

I have been using the Fresh Step Crystal litter as I hope to be able to use the automatic ScoopFree box when they are a little older. I'm not sure if trying a different type of litter would help? Like I said, they try to bury, but miss most of the time.

Is there anything else I can do to help them learn to bury more accurately? I hate having to clean their paws after every use because they get quite upset about it.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or things I could try to help them learn!

Grace

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry your kittens have been having digestive issues. Hopefully that will be all over with soon. :crossfingers:

Some cats just never quite learn how to cover their waste. My Ruby will scratch at the sides of the litter box, and yet her "deposit" will still be sitting on top of the litter when she hops out of the litter box.

Hopefully when your kittens' tummy issues get settled, the waste will be better formed and less likely to get on their paws.

How big is their current litter box? If it's still more kitten-sized, it might help to get them a larger one.

Also, since they're still young, you could try showing them how to cover, by gently digging in the litter with their paw.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they are still having Diarrhea i would try to get that cleared up first thing. Have they been treated for Giardia and or coccidia?

Second thing i would try is an uncovered litter box, as large as you can find. If they are cramped up the more likely to step in it. Covered boxes make many cats anxious. they may then not take the time to cover well.

I like crystal litters, i am not a fan of clumping clay litter. That being said if a cat has loose stool, or diarrhea clumping clay is often the best thing to use. My son uses Fresh step, aloha breezes, very light nice smell, and very little dust, if i were to use a clay i would recommend that one.

you may want to try it, large uncovered box, clumping clay litter. at least until they are totally over the tummy issue, and older. Then you can work toward what you want them to use long term?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

graceyac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry your kittens have been having digestive issues. Hopefully that will be all over with soon. :crossfingers:

Some cats just never quite learn how to cover their waste. My Ruby will scratch at the sides of the litter box, and yet her "deposit" will still be sitting on top of the litter when she hops out of the litter box.

Hopefully when your kittens' tummy issues get settled, the waste will be better formed and less likely to get on their paws.

How big is their current litter box? If it's still more kitten-sized, it might help to get them a larger one.

Also, since they're still young, you could try showing them how to cover, by gently digging in the litter with their paw.
Their current litter box is pretty big, but I'm wondering if I should set up a second one since they are still young and using it a lot, especially since they have been sick. I'm thinking it will get better once they are 100% better and a little older. Thanks for the advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

graceyac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If they are still having Diarrhea i would try to get that cleared up first thing. Have they been treated for Giardia and or coccidia?

Second thing i would try is an uncovered litter box, as large as you can find. If they are cramped up the more likely to step in it. Covered boxes make many cats anxious. they may then not take the time to cover well.

I like crystal litters, i am not a fan of clumping clay litter. That being said if a cat has loose stool, or diarrhea clumping clay is often the best thing to use. My son uses Fresh step, aloha breezes, very light nice smell, and very little dust, if i were to use a clay i would recommend that one.

you may want to try it, large uncovered box, clumping clay litter. at least until they are totally over the tummy issue, and older. Then you can work toward what you want them to use long term?
I think I may try a clumping litter for a little while, however they have been stepping in within a few seconds of it being left so I'm not sure how much it can help. I definitely am thinking of getting a second litter box without a lid since the little girl seems to get distracted with it! Thanks for the advice!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can catch them using the box I would demonstrate covering their feces. They may catch on from watching you.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I may try a clumping litter for a little while, however they have been stepping in within a few seconds of it being left so I'm not sure how much it can help. I definitely am thinking of getting a second litter box without a lid since the little girl seems to get distracted with it! Thanks for the advice!
i think a big second box, no lid, and clumping clay will help. you already use fresh step crystals, i think their clay clumping is some of the best too. Age will help, kittens are not little clean freaks about their box. They do get much better with age. Best of Luck, litter box fiascoes are no fun! :running: