Kittens lost use of front legs

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope the C-section went well and mama,baby and grandma are all resting comfortably now.  It's about 3 AM in California.  I need to be getting up at 8 AM and have not yet gone to bed, but can live with that.  Will be gone tomorrow and into Saturday.  Hope these babies are OK.  I've never seen limping calici in kittens so young, but the non-use of front legs plus having a fever is certainly pretty specific.  They could have it if mama cat got it, and adults do get this if they have not yet had it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kytty kachan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, sorry for the late update. The vet came and checked them out. There are apparently a few scenarios it could be including muscular deformity, infection, nutritional deficiency, etc. She gave then antibiotics and hydrated them, gave them more formula. A couple had small scabs where the umbilical cord had been so she applied a bit of hydrogen peroxide too. We have been feeding them with the dropper and put a heating pad and blankets in crate to keep them warm. We also have vitamin drops and antibiotics for them, and lysine for mom cat. Unfortunately one of the 3 was still doing poorly and passed away last night. We were so sad. We are still trying to help the other 2. Will keep you all updated. Thank you for all the advice and support.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for the update. Your vet did all the right things! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

I'm so sorry you lost one. That's always hard. Praying the other two improve, and no others get sick.

Let us know if the two begin showing improvement. Thanks so much for caring for them!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you lost one baby, it hurts I know....

If this is/was calici/limping kitten syndrome, they should have or should be snapping out of it now.

I have my doubts still, for some reason, age I suppose.

Did you say they had a fever?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kytty kachan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi sorry for late reply no fever. Still not entirely sure what the root cause was bit over the last day both kittens left that were sick rapidly declined. They were not taking the food and we're hardly moving. Both have passed. My husband and I are so sad. The only bright side is that momma kitty and the other 4 seem very healthy so hopefully they are not afflicted the issues the other 3 had. Thank you all again for the advice and support.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry that the other two sick kittens did not make it. That is terribly sad. Poor babies.

It is heartwarming to hear that mom and the other babies seem healthy and are doing well. We're here if you need anything going forward.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi sorry for late reply no fever. Still not entirely sure what the root cause was bit over the last day both kittens left that were sick rapidly declined. They were not taking the food and we're hardly moving. Both have passed. My husband and I are so sad. The only bright side is that momma kitty and the other 4 seem very healthy so hopefully they are not afflicted the issues the other 3 had. Thank you all again for the advice and support.
Very sad news........

Yeah see calici's limping kitten syndrome virus definitely comes with a fever.

Something else then.......scary.

So far so good with the others, this is very good to hear, and hopefully continues to be this way!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes I agree, could not have been the limping calici.  Those kittens ALL had fevers that were way high (106 for most) which lasted 2-3 days, and NONE of the limping calici kittens died in my experience, and we had quite a few litters with it over the years.  Something definitely hit them neurologically I guess.  Sad.  Glad it didn't get the others.  Fingers and toes crossed that it doesn't.