Kittens lost appetite after vaccinations

katalina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone. Hope there is someone out there that may be able to calm my nerves a little here.

My 2 kittens just had their 1st set of vaccinations on Monday. My vet told me to expect some behavioral changes, loss of appetite (for a couple of day), possible vomiting...etc. They were both a little out of it the next day, slept a lot which seems normal. One of my kittens did throw up a few times on Wed or Thurs, but none after that. They have been rambunctious as ever since...and are doing their typical bouncing off furniture and doing their thing...LOL My concern is that all this week, their appetite has really changed. At first, I thought it was just one the kittens, but I noticed in the last 2 days that my other kitten isn't eating as much either. They keep meowing for food when they are hungry like they always do, and I give them their regular food from before (wet), they go to the bowl, nibble a little and then walk away. It's been like this for days. I called my vet and they said to possibly warm up the food. I did that. They also suggested to give them this baby food broth that they had at the vet, so we bought the same ones. They seem to be eating that now, but it's just weird that they are not interested in the wet food we gave them before. It worries me, because they're only like 2 lbs each and they have a lot of growing to still do. Hubby is picking up some new foods for them to try after work today, as well as some back up baby food. The vet gave us these little hard treats as samples, and they seem to love that, so maybe we'll get some dry kitten food for them as well. We've never had kittens before, so I really don't know what's considered normal. They are scheduled to go back to the vet on Sept 15th for another set of shots, and prior to Monday's shots, they've been to the vet at least 2 times before that, (urinary tract infection & bloodwork, stool samples) so you can imagine what our vet bills have been just for the month of July and Aug alone...I'm just an over protective new mommy, and I don't want to take them if it's not urgent.

Thanks in advance fellow cat-lovers!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old are they? Were they also wormed? If they were, that will cause a decrease in appetite. As long as they're eating something, and using the litter box regularly, I wouldn't worry too much yet. If the new food does't spark their appetite in the next few days however, I'd definitely give the vet another call.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Be prepared they can be very very finicky about food. Mine is very bad with food. Mine will only eat Fancy Feast, thats it. I can try to give them something different one day and they will devour it, like they never tasted anything so good, I can give it to them again and they're looking at my like "you expect us to eat this slop". Hopefully they will eat the baby food broth. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katalina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for the response Aswient and Taterbug. I've been having a hard day trying to get both of them to eat anything. One finally ate some of the wet food I usually give her and the other lil' guy is the one that's not eating now. After lots of petting, and running around the place with several bowls of food and baby food, he finally ate the baby food, but is just not himself. I've gone to the vet so many times in the past few weeks and I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm hoping it's something that will just pass. His stool looks normal, I just checked. I just hope they start eating. Hubby isn't home, and he won't be able to grab those foods today at all because the store will be closed.

Thanks again for the responses.

Taterbug - they are both 2 months and 1 week right now.

seaturtle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

You could try Purina Kitten Chow. Mine love it and it's high in nutrition for the growing little guys.

Otherwise, yes, baby food, pureed turkey, beef, veal - but that will break your pocket book pretty fast. Fancy Feast, yes, I'd think, too.

Just a thought: you might go and research the vaccines they were given on the net, find the possible side-effects, or even call the manufacturer.

Some of my cats have had severe reactions to the vaccines, but I don't remember them lasting that long.

I do hope your guys recover fast. I'll be interested to hear how it goes.
It's so nice to hear how much you care for them.

Seaturtle

katalina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks Seaturtle

I will try a couple of new foods tomorrow. He's a bit more active now and he had a good sleep, so I'll just keep an eye on them both. I actually did try googling the vaccine earlier today...lol Couldn't find anything on it though.

I'll keep you guys posted
Thanks again!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my boyfriend had our three vaxed, they lost their appetite for about 3 days.
A little goldfish food flakes (he couldn't find bonita flakes) sprinkled on their wet food was enough to entice them back to normal eating habits.

katalina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tip Arlyn.

I'm happy to report that Sasha started eating normally again this morning. His last 2 meals were back to normal, and boy, did he eat! lol

Thanks again for the responses

kristykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear he is eating well again.
Maybe it was just an after-effect from being sick from the vaccine? I know that when I throw up, I can't eat whatever it was that I threw up for like a year lol

I hope you stick around TCS, your kitties are absolutely adorable!!
The picture of the little black one is just
I melted

seaturtle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I'm glad to hear they're improving. I did look up vaccines and reactions for you last night, and one of the first side effects is loss of appetite and lethargy. It said that these can occur anywhere from just after the vaccination to three weeks after. So it's good that yours got it over with early. They will probably be eating you out of house and home now!

Seaturtle

katalina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KristyKitty

Glad to hear he is eating well again.
Maybe it was just an after-effect from being sick from the vaccine? I know that when I throw up, I can't eat whatever it was that I threw up for like a year lol

I hope you stick around TCS, your kitties are absolutely adorable!!
The picture of the little black one is just
I melted
aw thanks! I will surely be sticking around
It's such a great place to come to for info and just to be a proud mommy...lol

Yeas, I think it was just the after effects. Both of them went through it, just a day apart. I'm so glad they're back to normal today.

katalina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by seaturtle

Hi,

I'm glad to hear they're improving. I did look up vaccines and reactions for you last night, and one of the first side effects is loss of appetite and lethargy. It said that these can occur anywhere from just after the vaccination to three weeks after. So it's good that yours got it over with early. They will probably be eating you out of house and home now!

Seaturtle
Thanks Seaturtle! That was so sweet that you looked that up for me. I really appreciate that
Wow..up to 3 weeks...eh? I'm so glad they are doing much better now. The feast has now begun as a matter of fact

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I remember when I had to go overseas, between the vaccinations recommended for travellers that country by the US State Department and the vaccinations required for visitors by that country's government, I had to have a whole slew of vaccinations at once. I felt most unwell for several days.

The point of vaccinations is to give you a little bit of the illness to protect you from it; it is almost the only homeopathic protocol accepted by mainstream medicine. So of course your kitties are going to be a bit under the weather right afterwards; it is only to be expected.