Kittens Losing Weight

Sadafraza

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone.
So I got my kittens neutered almost two weeks ago. I’ve been noticing since their surgery they’ve been losing a lot of weight. On the first day after surgery I noticed them being skinnier than before i thought it was fine since the vet asked me not to give them food the night before their surgery. So it made sense seeing them skinnier.
But then even several days after the surgery. I didn’t notice them gaining their weight like before the surgery. I can see their stomach area is a bit saggier than before and their bones are too visible.
I was concerned so I took them a week later the surgery back to the vet. The vet checked their weight and agreed that they’ve lost weight but they said it might get better and this may have happened because of the cones they wear and they might not be happy with it.
The doctors asked me to come back a week later. The appointment is tomorrow. To check them again. Tomorrow it’s gonna be two full weeks from the day of their surgery and I seriouslydont think they’ve gained any weight since then.
I’m really concerned. Can you get let me know if this is normal?
Like is this a norm for the first couple of weeks after surgery?
What should I ask my vet? Any tips would help.
Thank you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! In my opinion, not normal at all.
They need extra nutrition, try unflavored Pedialyte and kitten glop. There are recipes on the internet that you can make.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This doesn't sound normal to me either. Have they been dewormed? Often, kittens need more than 1 round of dewormer to get rid of all the worms. I would ask the vet to test for worms. Also, ask the vet for some Science Diet a/d to help them regain their appetite and weight.