kittens introduction to older cats

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
so i'm not clueless.. I've read the various things to read. but I do want to ask advice on a point. we have two adult males and two kittens. we've had the kittens since first of june. they've been in their own basement kitten room. we had the kitten room mostly full of new things for them. the adult cats made it down and played patty cake under the door a few times before the kittens final shot series. we were told a week after the final shot we could start proper introductions so we did. it went swimmingly. so we basically jumped to letting them meet face to face. kept that short went swimmingly. gave the male cats access to the basement but not the kitten room so they could do underdoor whenever. which led to more face to face time when we left or entered kitten room. the male kitten moved onto play time with the younger adult cat almost instantly. the older adult male cat is like I didn't know I was a momma cat but guess what? lol. so all swimmingly good with that but the female kitten is having none of it. and is stressed out enough to have runny pooh. she's very skittish of the older males but calms right down when we take her back in her room but she really doesn't want either of the male cats in her room when they come in to check it out. that realllly pisses her off.

one of the things we're coming up against is the kittens are getting too big for hte kitten room. the male kitten is starting to get really fast and strong and he's doing these jumps that are landing him into walls and things. i'd like to transition them into the upstairs living area without the adult cats there for a few days but i'm not sure what i need to do for the baby girl. they just turned 4 months old about 10 days ago

I haven't done feliway because the diffusers have cancer causing agents that I refuse to use in my home. considering the wipes but not sure where I'd wipe? I don't know how to use them. the other option is gaba for a few days but i'm not sure if baby cats can have gaba. (i know that's one for the doc) or just resetting and staying in the kitten room with no adult access for a couple days. but i'm afraid that I'd just lose progress and she'd be back at square one. the other option is just to full speed a head and she'll get over it soon enough? we've done clothes exchanges. but she doesn't really sleep on blankets like the adults do. she likes the floor my chair down there or the scratching post generally.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If this female kitten relies somewhat on the company of her 'brother' then they still need to have time together. You can give the brother time to 'play' with the other cats, with time still spent with his 'sister. Maybe time spent with the older cats will bring scents from them to her and she will get used to them through that.

You can try to transition them both to another more spacious location without direct connection of the older cats with the female kitten until she adapts to her 'new space'. In the meantime, you can take the male kitten out to intermingle with the older cats as appropriate, while still giving him time with his 'sister. From there, you start introductions over again, at least in the terms of the female kitten and the older cats.

You have a split process going, in that the male kitten is adapting quicker than the female, so you are going to have to handle it in a multi-leveled fashion/process.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi,

it sounds like there isn't very much progress happening with her at the moment, honestly, -- I think I'd leave her in the kitten room, at least until her poop (hopefully very soon) firms up again.
If this female kitten relies somewhat on the company of her 'brother' then they still need to have time together. You can give the brother time to 'play' with the other cats, with time still spent with his 'sister. Maybe time spent with the older cats will bring scents from them to her and she will get used to them through that.

You can try to transition them both to another more spacious location without direct connection of the older cats with the female kitten until she adapts to her 'new space'. In the meantime, you can take the male kitten out to intermingle with the older cats as appropriate, while still giving him time with his 'sister. From there, you start introductions over again, at least in the terms of the female kitten and the older cats.

You have a split process going, in that the male kitten is adapting quicker than the female, so you are going to have to handle it in a multi-leveled fashion/process.

that seems like a solid way of handling it. its also possible she'll have mellowed a little by the time we get the larger space kitten proofed anyway. getting them was a bit of a unplanned adventure lol.