Kittens In Unsafe Area

love67742

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my grandpa who lives next door to me has a bunch of feral cats who are constantly getting pregnant, and I can't do anything about it. So one cat Grayson had kittens in a garage that's filled with junk. The kittens look to be about 3 or 4 weeks old. and the garage is filthy. One of the kittens seemed to be passed away, right where the live ones are, so they are constantly breathing in the stench of a decaying cat and can't get away from it. One of the kittens where crawling to me, and they never do that. I don't want them there and im sure they hate it too. But recently, i've taken in three kittens and I can't take them in at the moment. i really wish I could but my family doesn't want anymore kittens in the house at the moment. Is it best to bring them in, or is there something I can do? I can't touch them either, or their mother will abandon them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is sad. Can someone remove the decaying kitten?

Are the cats being fed cat food?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: What an overwhelming situation. Is the mother unable to move them because of all the junk? If a kitten could come to you, I suspect that the mother cat could lead them to live elsewhere. Maybe you could give her a box with old towels for a nest. You have to keep it blocked off from predators like raccoons. Of course, the kittens are better off inside, especially if you could find safe, responsible loving homes for them. And maybe your family would be open-minded about trap, neuter, release to help stop this from happening. Please let us know what you decide to do & welcome to TCS:welcomesign:

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! I'm sorry it is under such a sad circumstance. I agree that if you can't take the kittens in right now, maybe you could at least remove the dead kitten (or check on it,) give the rest of them somewhere warm and soft to nest, and some food for momma. They are likely more safe away from predators in the garage, so long as they aren't getting into anything like antifreeze.
I notice that she has a name, Grayson. Is she your grandpa's cat, or a feral? Could you do TNR for her? Do you have any local outlets to try and find homes for the outdoor kittens? Are the three you just took in also from this litter?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

love67742

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! I'm sorry it is under such a sad circumstance. I agree that if you can't take the kittens in right now, maybe you could at least remove the dead kitten (or check on it,) give the rest of them somewhere warm and soft to nest, and some food for momma. They are likely more safe away from predators in the garage, so long as they aren't getting into anything like antifreeze.
I notice that she has a name, Grayson. Is she your grandpa's cat, or a feral? Could you do TNR for her? Do you have any local outlets to try and find homes for the outdoor kittens? Are the three you just took in also from this litter?
Grayson is a feral. Me and my sister named her that a while ago just because she's always there. She isn't the best mother. The kittens barely ever make it. I feel so bad that these kittens have to stay there. If it's best to take them inside i'll try my hardest. And no. The 3 kittens I took in aren't from the same batch. The kittens I have in right now had a respiratory infection. A they where getting skinnier everyday. Now they're doing well, but I dont know what to do about the two in the garage. They look like they are getting just enough food to live.

love67742

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:alright: What an overwhelming situation. Is the mother unable to move them because of all the junk? If a kitten could come to you, I suspect that the mother cat could lead them to live elsewhere. Maybe you could give her a box with old towels for a nest. You have to keep it blocked off from predators like raccoons. Of course, the kittens are better off inside, especially if you could find safe, responsible loving homes for them. And maybe your family would be open-minded about trap, neuter, release to help stop this from happening. Please let us know what you decide to do & welcome to TCS:welcomesign:
i doubt the mother would go to anything that smells like humans. I believe i've tried something like that and she ended up moving them away not to it. and yes I we all want to get her fixed she's just really fast.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
You don't say how old you are - are you a teenager? Is there any way to talk to your grandfather and tell him how much better it would be for the cats to get them spayed? Or if your mother agrees with you, try to plan a way to talk to him together? Good luck.

love67742

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You don't say how old you are - are you a teenager? Is there any way to talk to your grandfather and tell him how much better it would be for the cats to get them spayed? Or if your mother agrees with you, try to plan a way to talk to him together? Good luck.
Yes, i'm a teenager. We've talked to him before and he "Likes kittens" and won't get her fixed. We'll still try.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you're dealing with this. The mom might very well be skittish if she smells humans, but it can't hurt to put some food and blankets out for now. She's already in the garage which has some human things. I know it can be hard to change attitudes of people brought up with different ideas about cats. Hopefully you two can have a productive discussion, and find out what to do about these kittens! Keep us updated.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you bring the kittens in the garage inside your home?

Who is feeding these cats - you or your grandfather? Do they get enough food?

Did you remove the dead kitten yet?

love67742

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So yesterday, me and my friend brought some canned food for the kittens. I knew that they where about 4 or 5 weeks and if they where really hungry they'd eat it. So he set the food down, and the kittens ate it. As for the dead cats in the garage, we moved them, it was really sad but had to happen. All I can do is hope the kittens wll grow and leave the garage as soon as possible

love67742

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you continue to feed them wet food every day? They need it. Do they also have dry food and water available?

Good you disposed of the dead ones.

Thank you for helping them!!
I'll try to feed them every time I can. It'll probably be a bit difficult since I already have 3 little furballs who are always finding a way to get into trouble :) . I try to do all that I can to help.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awesome! Thanks for helping the cats! I'm sure it was rough to remove the dead cats, but you did the right thing! Even one meal a day, as stated above, is a great start. Also, using social media, school or work friends, and petitioning the adults in your family on behalf of these kittens can majorly change their situation. If you or an adult can work towards getting someone willing to be responsible to step in - either by adopting out the kittens, TNR on Grayson, or both - you won't have this cycle of kittens all the time overburdening you. If you really can't take them in or feed them, your next best bet is to find someone who can. They will soon mate with each other, only compounding the problem. I know it can seem daunting with your three cats at home, but everyone at TCS would be more than happy to help with questions and moral support! Good luck.

love67742

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One meal a day would help.

Why doesn’t your grandfather feed the cats?
He feeds them. there's food and water out for them. They'd all be very happy and healthy if we just got them fixed. :(

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
That's fantastic! You are to be commended for your fortitude and persuasive abilities with your grandfather. Those female cats will have much improved lives. Next up, convince your grandfather to neuter the males as well. :)