Kittens in 111 temperature

lpokladnik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Feral mom cat had kittens outside under my home in a small container that I used to keep mama cat warm in winter with heating pad. Now it's 111 outside and kittens r in there and I have a window unit and was wondering if I can put it on the ground towards the opening of the container hole I made for cat to cool them off? Does anyone know if this would work?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This should help some... Hopefully momma wont get scared and abandon the nest.
Also, electricity outside has its dangers... I hope you have cablage meant to be weather sure.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A window unit may not function properly outside on the ground.
This was my thoughts exactly. I'm thinking if you put the window unit on the ground the water is going to pool and which will freeze up the unit. When this happens it will only blow warm air.

If you would have a way to keep the bottom exposed by using 2 by 4s.
If you can put one on either side just to have it off the ground I think the water would be able to drain and not freeze. Even then though I think it will be too loud and scare momma and kittens. I'd also be a little worried about the kittens getting too cold when momma leaves to go eat or whatever. Like this is in my mind as a thought but I don't know because of how hot it is.

I really think it would just be best if you are able to bring them in and have them in a room of their own for now.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the mother cat and/or babies showing signs of heat distress? Newborns need a hot ambient temperature of 85°-90°F plus a direct heat source so the mama cat may have selected a suitable location for her nest. Since she is feral, I assume bringing her inside isnt a practical solution although she might surprise us when she realizes the comfort and safety. If there is distress, adding a small fan behind a shallow bowl of ice is a good cooling solution; make sure the draft is indirect, though. Please keep us updated!