Kittens Having Accidents In New Home.

xxCourt1996xx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A week ago I rehomed two 9ish week old kittens for my grandma. I gave them to my step-sister and her family. I mentioned to my grandma that I felt it would have been beneficial to keep them for a few more weeks because I felt they were on the young side to be rehomed, but she assured me that they were using the litter box with no accidents and eating regular kitten food...so I passed it onto my former stepmother when I gave her the kittens. A few days later my sister messaged me and told me her mom was peeved at my dishonesty because the kittens were definitely NOT litterbox trained like I said they were, as they were having accidents all over the house. I explained that it was going to be an adjustment period for them, moving from a quiet house to a louder house with children and my sister's mom needed to have patience, and my sister agreed with me. My former step-mom asked if I would take them back temporarily and have my grandma litterbox train them better. So being a responsible pet owner, of course I did. Kittens haven't had a single accident in my grandma's house...using the litterbox just fine. My grandma doesn't know how to train them anymore than they already are because they're completely litterbox trained in her house. I probably answered my own question up there but is there any other reason why kittens would keep having accidents in a new home? Personally I think they were too young to be rehomed and I'd prefer to have them back for awhile anyway...

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
A litany of possibilities. The litter boxes may not have been in the right place, the kittens may be too scared by people or commotion nearby to use the boxes, the litter may not be the kind they are used to, the boxes may be too tall and probably a half dozen more I will think of later.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In a new home, its recommended to have the kittens spend a few days to a week in a "safe room" before having the run of the house. This helps them be comfortable and know where there home base is -- and how to find the litter box. It also helps deter them from hiding in bad spots, like behind/under appliances.

How many litterboxes? Are they the same kind the kittens were using and the same brand of litter? The concerns Susan identified can be partially avoided simply by copying the style of litterbox and brand of litter that they were successfully using.