Kittens have been moving inside her for over a week, still no labor symptoms..?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iluvkitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK, so I'm pretty darn sure she is in labor. She hasn't eaten since this morning. We actually moved into the new house today. We brought her over early afternoon and as soon as I put her nest in the closet, she hasn't left it. We were gone for a few hours after that, then when we got back, I noticed that she discharged her mucous plug and is having contractions. She seems calm and is purring. I don't think she is stressed out at all. Its a big closet, so I put her litter box and food/water in there as well.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like it.

Just remember to be calm, she will be very in tune to your feelings and will easily pick up anxiety, etc from you.

Allow her to do her thing, but keep an eye on what's happening too. Be sure none get stuck in the birth canal for too long, or that she chews the cords and eats the placenta.

If you notice a kitten not going to nurse, you might assist in placing it up to her but that's it.

Once she has had them all, you will need to change the wet bedding, shortly after anyway,  it will be dirty and wet.

Hopefully she doesn't have them in the middle of the night, in case you have any concerns I will not be on my computer but snoozing!

There may be others on here who can advise if needed during the night.

iluvkitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She seems like she wants me with her. She starts purring when I walk in the room. If I try to leave, she will follow. I am being very calm, petting her head and talking to her. She has made a little puddle on her newspapers and the fluid is clear. Her contractions don't seem very intense right now. I can't feel any kittens in the birth canal yet. Does all of this sound normal?

iluvkitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She kept climbing onto my bed, so I moved her nest on my bed. She started to have real intense contractions a few moments ago. She climbed out of her nest onto my bedspread. She wants to be between my boyfriend and I.

iluvkitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The first one should be out any minute now. The sac is partially out. We were able to slip a couple towels under her as she rolled around on my bed.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yay!! Finally right?!

Something cool that most people don't realize happens is, watch when she pushes a baby out, her whiskers go totally forward :)

iluvkitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
BTW, three kittens, waiting for third placenta.

Last edited by a moderator:

iluvkitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fourth kitten just popped out. Venus is doing great with all of them! Each one comes out like a hot knife through butter. She is eating afterbirth, cleaning them well, and she has eaten 2 placentas. Sometimes she will finish eating them, if she didn't, I pulled them away. I think I can feel one more on the way. They are all nursing too.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've been following this thread from the start. I don't have any advice, just wanted to say 

Congratulations!!!!!

iluvkitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. She has 5 kittens right now (all are suckling) but I can feel one still inside her. She hasn't had any more contractions in a while, but she seems glad for the rest. The babies came one after the other with no more than 15 minutes between them. The one that hasn't been born yet is moving around. Venus looks so skinny now.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She kept climbing onto my bed, so I moved her nest on my bed. She started to have real intense contractions a few moments ago. She climbed out of her nest onto my bedspread. She wants to be between my boyfriend and I.
She apparently likes your boyfriend too, somewhat.   :)

Congrats to this excellent birthing work!

iluvkitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend was her favorite person until he started working. Now he is almost never home. The last kitten (#6) hasn't been born yet. I can feel it moving around in her belly. It has bed 9 hours since kitten #5 was born. It is normal for her to rest that long before having the last one? She doesn't seem to be in any distress. She ate her food, used the litter box, then went back to the babies.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
. I can feel it moving around in her belly. It has bed 9 hours since kitten #5 was born. It is normal for her to rest that long before having the last one? She doesn't seem to be in any distress. She ate her food, used the litter box, then went back to the babies.
Ýes, it sounds normal.  As long as she is OK etc, you watch "like a hawk", but you dont need to worry.

How used with palpating for kittens are you?  We had not far ago a forumite in exact the same situation, but after some days it turned out the mom  was done and finished with deliveries, there were no more babies.  "The moving kitten" was probably some gases flowing around in there in the intestines.

(people feeling the swollen uterus and thinking it may be a kitten left, is common - but you do feel movements too).

iluvkitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She might not have any more babies inside. I'm just too worried about something going wrong. She isn't leaking any more fluid (scarcely) and her vagina is still swollen but seems to be closing up. She wants to be on the bed and cuddle right after every kitten feeding. I weighed them, and they are all about 3.5-4 ounces.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
These are excellent weights, great news again!

She is LIKELY done, but not certain of course as one or two may have been conceived a couple days after the first group.

So just keep an eye out, but as @StefanZ  mentions, it is common to think there are more.

Yes, mom will look VERY thin, almost sucked in appearance, but over the next few weeks will fill out again.

Too bad us humans don't look sucked in after we give birth...........hehe.

The one who weights less, watch extra bit, although the weight is not that much less, you'd be surprised at how much it gets bullied off of a nipple. It's like the difference of weighing 85 lbs vs 110 lbs, or 170 vs 220. It will not have the strength the others will. Just watch the smaller (all for that matter) is latched on as often as the rest are, and you don't see any of them off alone and sleeping.

It might take days or even a week or two to see this, if at all, but usually there will be a weaker one in the herd :) Just want them all to get as much nursing as they need, and if one gets bumped off even once a day, it eventually catches up to them.

This is a big reason why "runts" sometimes don't make it, but people don't really realize just why it is, well this is why.

Mom will drink alot more water now as she is producing milk for them, and I always feed canned to mom daily as well. She will appreciate it :)

Excellent, all went smoothly, now we want you to post pictures!!!  

iluvkitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have three girls and two boys.
Gray tabby pattern: 1 boy, 1 girl
Momma cat's pattern: 1 boy, 2 girls

Momma cat is black with white feet, white chin, white neck/chest, and small white spot on belly.