Kittens hard time pooping without tails

marie31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a couple Kittens born without tails that are now 5 to 6 weeks old , they are having a hard time using the washroom , have helped them few times , not sure if i am doing it right though , i have let there bottoms soak in luck warm water to help the process be easier . i am wondering if this is just a little issue we can get through or if there may bemore concerns on if i could be a bigger problem .
?
If anyone has any information , or insight . would love the help .
Thanks

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Cats who are born without a tail can have some spinal irregularities which can cause problems with constipation. We don't know that is the case with your kittens, but it is one point to consider. Is there any more information about these kittens that you can give us? Did you rescue them or do you know anything about their background. Do they walk normally or have any other issues?

willowlock

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Manx Syndrome??
My cat Bunny was born without a tail and has had recurring rectal prolapses and dietary issues and I got a lot of good information from a fellow poster here about diet changes and whatnot to help with diarrhea and constipation as they get older! Definitely ask a vet about x-rays to check for any spinal deformities as it’s super common in tailless cats.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, any further info you can provide would be helpful for us in responding. Also, have you seen a vet yet?

Were these kittens the only ones in the litter? Do you have their mom? Can you post pictures? What are they eating/drinking now? Do they walk normally? Do they have a tail stump, or literally nothing there?

5-6 weeks is perhaps a little young to predict if they will have lifelong problems yet or not. Most kittens this age are just beginning to litter train, so it may be too soon to say for sure. Plus we need more information on them in general.

Last edited: