Kitten's fallen ill (important)

blackkittens

Mother of Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! This is a rushed post. I'm very scared right now for my kitten of 8 months turning 9 soon. He has been having very loose almost watery and sticky stools. And frequently, more than usual. He is dirtying everything because it gets on his fur. I gave him a bath (I never do) and dried him up, he had heat and all was well. I think he is either not feeling well or is angry with me for bathing him. Later on he threw up under my bed, food that I gave him almost 2 or 3 days ago. It was wet food. I didn't see anything unusual in his stools other than the looseness and in his vomit was just food. No worms or anything. I'm scared he may have caught something, or that he ate something that is now causing him trouble. He also drinks lots of water quickly. Please help? I'm going to be taking him to our vet tomorrow as soon as I can. Thanks in advance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blackkittens

Mother of Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
+ I gave him fresh water a few minutes ago he hasn't had a sip yet. But I noticed the water thing. I refill it once or twice for him and before he hadn't been like that. Im scared.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
It could be an intestinal parasite, your vet will be able to figure out what it is and discuss treatment with you. How many times today did he vomit? Many times may be an indication for a visit to the emergency vet.

blackkittens

Mother of Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
He only vomited once today but he's went to the litterbox way too many times than usual to poop.. I'm not sure why. It's loose but not exactly watery like diarrhea.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
When did this problem start? I know you said that he threw up food from 2-3 days ago (which I'm slightly confused about, as food doesn't stay in the digestive system that long). Did you feed him since then? If so, the food must be from more recently. If this vomiting/loose stool came suddenly, I would be concerned that it's poisoning. If you think this is the case, I'd check in with an emergency vet.

blackkittens

Mother of Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
I did give him some wet food again, and a little bit of dry food. But the food from a few nights ago had rice in it, and there seemed to be a piece of rice in there. Maybe he ate something in the kitchen? The loose stool and vomiting did come suddenly. I don't think I have anything here that could've been poisoning to him

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Basically, there's hundreds of potential toxins, and the rapid onset does seem alarmingly like poisoning. Can you go to an emergency vet?

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I second @Abyyeb

I think is better to assume poisoning -which requires urgent intervention, that to assume parasites that may wait (not to much but anyway).

Make sure the cat has sufficient fresh water and that she drinks. Dehydration is a very perverse enemy.

Poisoning is an emergency.

blackkittens

Mother of Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not able to go to an emergency vet right now. I will go to the vet tomorrow for an emergency appointment. I'm so worried I cannot even sleep. He may have eaten rice and avocado. Are those dangerous? I hope not, I'm really on edge now

blackkittens

Mother of Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
He has not been outside he is strictly indoors and we do not have plants

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We feed rice to cats by tradition in my country. I don't think is dangerous. On long run is not a good thing, but is not something to hit health like that.

I have no idea about avocado. 

blackkittens

Mother of Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
I just read the lists from the links and he may have had chocolate but I doubt it because that is one thing he usually stays away from and he doesn't have access to.. could that be it? Or did he eat one of his toys that are torn? I don't know

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you wash floor by cleaning agents? If so, are you sure you water the floor sufficiently afterwards? 

Do you have used milk or youghurt recipients at the reach of cat?

Do you leave leftovers on the kitchen table?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I am not able to go to an emergency vet right now. I will go to the vet tomorrow for an emergency appointment. I'm so worried I cannot even sleep. He may have eaten rice and avocado. Are those dangerous? I hope not, I'm really on edge now
Avocado isn't deadly poisonous to cats (it may cause some stomach discomfort, but nothing that serious). Again, I'll link to the ASPCA page: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/avocado

What about cleaning products? Some products, including Chlorox, are poisonous to cats. Even if he didn't directly eat the cleaning product, if he walked across a newly cleaned surface and then later licked his paws, he would have ingested some of the toxins.

blackkittens

Mother of Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
I do clean the floors but I don't let him walk over when it's still wet. I wait for it to dry then he can go he usually gets under the bed or on top of the bed. I try to keep him away. I had to clean today after he dirtied the floors, bed, and door. But I dried it with paper towels. Is he going to be ok? He is napping now in his cat bed

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I would really try to get him into an emergency vet. The rapid onset is really concerning.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So you clean the floor by a cleaning product and you dry the surface by towels or let it dry by itself (evaporation).

You do not water the floor after cleaning.

Did I understand correctly?

blackkittens

Mother of Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
I do not water it afterwards, no. Never had an issue. He seems to be fine and I keep telling him I love him and that it'll be ok, im just so concerned. I'll try to get him there as soon as I can, because I cannot right now. Thank you guys so much. I will be updating

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Make sure he drinks sufficient water. If starts refusing to drink, wet a toothpick in water and put it at his mouth. Another method: put the front paws in water. She will lick them afterwards, and so hidrates herself.

Dehydration by diahereaa is different from dehydration from not drinking water.

I cant stress enough this point of hydration.

====

Always water and wipe after cleaning. Try using vinegar in place of cleaning agents. If use cleaning agents - choose the less poisonous ones, use as little as possible and water and wipe afterwards.