Kitten's Eye

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I came home tonight to find my Cookie like this.

FullSizeRender 22.jpg

Her right eye area is wet and I'm not sure if it's discharge, water or tears. Her eye itself seems OK.

She was fine when i left home today at about 1pm and I came home today at 10pm... so this happened quite quickly. She doesn't seem to be scratching at it, but she does squint a bit sometimes. Her left eye seems fine.

Could my other kitten have scratched her? (the line does run to her nose). Other things I can think of is that I applied Revolution for kittens to the back of her head yesterday (but she didn't seem bothered at the time). And she tested positive for calici about a month ago (but didn't show any symptoms).

Or is it just a case of naughty kitten playing with the water bowl?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both of them tested negative for herpes about a month ago. The last time they were around a place with lots of other pets was at the vets around the 20th of August.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just googled Calici and it seems to be an upper respiratory virus like Herpes. So that could be what is causing the eye watering and crusties.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just checked my other kitten and she seems to be tearing up in one eye too, though it has already stopped and her eye area isn't wet all over. Kinda odd for both of them to have a calici flare up at the same time? Ill pay attention and see if there's anything that could be irritating the eyes i guess :/

The only thing that could've caused any stress is that I came home later than usual cause I went to the cinema with a friend. But I left out dry food in advance, and I fed them dinner as soon as I got home.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much does the Herpes test cost that you got for your cats? I'm pretty sure my cats have it, I give them Lysine for it. I don't know if Lysine works for Calici or not.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It could be allergies , my kitten has watery eyes and tear stains from them.
What causes your kitten's allergies?

Pollution here has been pretty severe this week :/ I've bought a new air purifier already and it should be delivered next week.

How much does the Herpes test cost that you got for your cats? I'm pretty sure my cats have it, I give them Lysine for it. I don't know if Lysine works for Calici or not.
They were tested for herpes at the end of July though. I haven't got lysine, but I do have some other pills that are supposed to help with their immune systems.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was asking how much the Herpes test costs because I want to get my cats tested. Is it expensive?

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was asking how much the Herpes test costs because I want to get my cats tested. Is it expensive?
Oh sorry, I misunderstood. I did a lot of tests at the same time, so I don't remember how much the herpes test was. But the total was about $150 per cat to get tested for Calici, herpes and felv, plus basic bloodwork and some parasite tests. (I remember the calici and herpes tests were the most expensive... about 60-80% of the total? - They had to take swabs. The bloodwork was really cheap, like only $10 or something). But the cost might be different for you cause I live in China.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm in the south and were having horrible allergies. I use lysine 250 mg twice a day to help. I buy now lysine powder and mix in food. If you buy supplement powder it needs no added ingredients. I used to use spry treats. They're reasonable lysine treats i got through Amazon. My cat has food and environmental allergies.

Ashley23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has severe seasonal allergies the vet said it's allergy season and this season it's been the worst one.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I looked at her again today and she isn't tearing up anymore. Whatever was around her eye yesterday has dried to a really light brown and I wiped it off with some pet wet wipes.