Kittens eating adult cat food and vice versa?

pmv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have three cats, one aged seven years, the other two are littermates and about seven months old.

All of them are fed a mix of wet and dry food.

Recently, for dry food, all three cats want to eat the "adult" cat food. Conversely, for wet food, they all want the kitten food, and the adult cat will try to eat from the kittens' bowls if I give him the adult version of the cat food (even if it's the same flavor and texture from the same company - these are all Tiki Cat mousses which are a big hit in my household).

Some of this might just be "the grass is greener", and he doesn't want to be the only cat not eating the kitten food, or it smells interesting and he forces one of the kittens to trade with him.

I do see the food is labeled as meeting the nutritional needs for cats of all life stages. Is it problematic if all of the cats are eating "adult" dry food and "kitten" wet?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I do see the food is labeled as meeting the nutritional needs for cats of all life stages.
If it's labeled 'For All Life Stages' or in your case as the labels says, it should be ok.

Of course unless when the label says specifically for 'Adult Cats' or 'Kitten Food'. Kittens need kitten food in their formative years as kitten food has all the nutrients and proteins in them to aid the proper growth of a kitten. Until the kitten has mature after a year for smaller breeds, they can slowly transit to adult food.

As for adult eating kitten food is ok as sone adult cats, due to nutritional problems, they may eat food meant for kittens as the food has extra protein bin them and will help the adult cat if they need extra nourishments but a kitten should not taken in food meant for adult as adult food does nor have the formula to aid kitten growth unless you ran out of food or the particular brand is out of stock, you may give the kitten adult food for a meal or two and quickly go stock up the kitten food.

My boy is on wet food labeled 'For All Life Stages' since he was rescued at 3 weeks old till now and he's coming to 5 years old already.

• Purraise
Reactions: pmv

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Boone and Gracie were smaller, I fed exclusively kitten food. Around 7 months or so, I switched to "all life stages". I think there is more variety with the latter and I like to experiment with different brands and flavors which isn't possible with kitten food. I lucked out and got two who aren't picky eaters.