Kittens dropped off

sammie's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, Jess! You are amazing! I was in tears reading this! Those poor babies wouldn't have made it without you! Keep us informed!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You wouldn't believe the updates!
So yesterday was a very difficult day for me (not for them). I called the SPCA and they said because they don't have a facility right now they can't take them in and to call the local animal control because they have funding for said things. I called the animal control and the guy was sooo mean, and I don't just mean mean, I mean I got off the phone with him and cried. He went on and on about how I had taken these babies away from their mom and that momma cat was scouring the land searching desperately for her little babies for three days now because mom cats would never ever abandon their kittens. He also said that I would have to have the landlord of the friends of a friend of mine sign a full in depth form and sign the kittens over to their care because they were found on his property. Not only that but there would have to be a full investigation and there would be "reprocussions" for guilty parties. Not nice. So my dad called the SPCA again, explaining what a meanie that guy was and she said to put in a formal complaint with the township (which we did) and that she would arrange it so that the SPCA would pay for milk replacements for the next six weeks if I was willing to take care of them. Of course we said yes. The deal is, we care for them for 6 weeks, then any cats that we haven't adopted out to good homes she'll log in as strays and give them shots/deworm them, wait 10 days and put them up for adoption. In the meantime though, she's hoping that we'll be able to help her out by doing some screening of adoptive families, and I'm sure save her the money of shots and care after they're ready to go. I'll probably keep one of them, since I was planning on getting Chester a friend for when I'm in school in January anyway.
*sigh* I'm so glad that things turned out as they should.
Everyone is still ok this morning. By the time I got to "Bear" (the constipated one) it had passed it's business. The amount of milk replacement that they're drinking per feeding is going up steadily, and this afternoon I laid down on the TV room floor with them and we had a group nap.
The only problem we're having at the moment is the stool still seems universally too firm. Was wondering if maybe I should water down the milk replacement, or maybe add a drop of oil to the mix. Does anyone know what the difference is in terms of health between vegetable and mineral oil? Any other ideas? They're passing them, but with some effort (and usually not while we're around since one of them likes to nuzzle in bad places).
Sorry for such a long post, but I've been waiting to calm myself down and get collected before I told you guys about that awful man.
Another postive is that I tried to take some pictures yesterday. Only got 2 that didn't come out fuzzy due to still shaking heads. My sister and I will have a photo op party this evening after their sponge baths I think. In the mean time, I'm going to make up a album for them in fur pictures only and edit this post to include the link.
Soft kitten purrs to all of you
Jess

Here's the link guys! http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...88#post1373288

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woot! I think I got the hang of this bathrooming thing! I've never been so excited about poos in my whole life.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He went on and on about how I had taken these babies away from their mom and that momma cat was scouring the land searching desperately for her little babies for three days now because mom cats would never ever abandon their kittens.
I am very sorry for the way you were treated. It's obvious you did what you could and whether the mom is looking for the kittens or not is rather moot at this point. It doesn't help these kittens to scold you so I'm glad you reported the treatment.

Katie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the updates!!! The pics are too adorable - thanks for posting those too!

I expect you did something to soften up their stools - did nature take care of itself or did you change the diet somehow? Just wondering what happened there.

And what a great and supportive family you have!!!! Sounds like a horrible experience with the SPCA - and Mr. Meanie/Mr. Know-It-All sure should have been written up - without mum visiting her kits for over 24 hours, something must have happened to her. Just thank God again that you were there for them!

Quick question - if the SPCA ends up with them for adopting out - do they keep them indefinitely? Please check on that! Around here, "official" places tend to euthanize them if not adopted out after a given amount of time. Some it just depends on capacity. I just wanted to make sure. So many people aren't aware of these policies and then call to check on the kittens they handed over for adoption, only to find out the hard way. I didn't know if you'd already checked, but....

You and your family totally rock!

Laurie

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey!
Well, in terms of their stools, I found a website that suggested a drop of vegetable oil once a day. The only thing the vet could come up with was adding a bit more water to the formula. The lady at the SPCA said the same thing and not to worry too much because sometimes kittens can just be big babies about bathrooming. So far there's been a bit of progress in that area, which I attribute to the bit of oil. I figure as long as they keep on going regularly things will be much easier after they are weaned.
I haven't asked about that policy, but I will say that when I mentioned no kill shelters to the SPCA lady (which is actually the OSPCA) she talked at length about how she didn't think an animal who was suffering should be kept alive because of policy and that was the problem with no kills. Regardless I'm not too concerned. I'm thinking of keeping one of the babes myself (SURPRISE! haha!) and the petstore where I get my formula also keeps cats in a cage in the front on behalf of the OSPCA. They were saying the other day that they'd probably request having at least a couple of the kittens in there because they "go quickly". I suppose it's all about exposure. I also think that they wouldn't bother going out of their way to pay for the formula and supporting us that way if they weren't willing to keep the kittens for awhile. I'm pretty sure if they don't get adopted here they just get moved to another area where there's a bigger population as well (because I've seen that on some of their websites).
Well, it's time for another feeding! talk to you soon
Jess