kittens dna test results

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
PXL_20230808_015340840.jpg

I've posted a lot about these little dudes in the last couple months so I thought i'd share what basepaws had to say.

likely to have long hair. two long hair variants G>T and Del(A) if I understand that right, the first one is just a global found in any cat gene and the second is found in ragdolls and maine coons?

she and claude are both dilute and black coat carriers. he also has the same long haired genes.

She has one copy of the tyr c > t gene he has two. I couldn't find any information on that particular Siamese coat trait. does that one have any particular specifics behind it other than colour pointe? there are 6 different ones. no explanation behind any of them.

she is a bit of a mutt with breeds resembled, only 26 percent polycat the three breeds she ranked highest against are maine coon, american short hair and turkish angora.

she does have some orangish coloring around her face and neck legs and belly. it doesnt' always show up in pics. not sure what to make of that. is she lightly torby? she sure has torbytude... lol

PXL_20230730_235939830.jpg

PXL_20230730_235759541.jpg

claude has 2 of the tyr c > t markers otherwise all the same as his sister as far as markers called out.

his genetic similarities are different though. he shows zero similarity to turkish angora and replaces that with norwegian forest cat (which doesn't show up for her at all.) but top two are still maine coon and american short hair. but in addition to those he also has a hearty dose of thai and burmese, persian. they both show up at 4% savannah similarities. my guess is that must be in their size potential haha.

I was thinking maybe they were just going to be mildly long haired but thinking now maybe very long haired. and very big. thoughts welcomed of course and yes I know it just means they are traits in common (although some of them I think are more meaningful than that like the long haired gene) I do think from these results it's likely there was a forest cat not too far back in their lineage. ragdoll also showed up for both of them but not as big in the numbers as the others. it looks like they discontinued their probability slider. I think that's a pity. it was interesting. they said it led to too much confusion.

I've had full bred maine coons sibs now though.. and the personality of these two is more like a ragdoll than either of those two breeds. they flop when you look at them sideways and start purring. they ALWAYS purr when you pick them up. silla is a bit more fiesty and after a few minutes of it she's like lemmego and starts meeping and struggling. but claude remains limp. they do follow you around like puppies. claude in particular is the most dog like cat we've ever met.