Kitten's breed and vet's diagnosis....

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take the vet's idea of what she might be with a very big pince of salt - most vets have very little idea about different breeds of cats.  Sounds like she is a siamese patter can with white, which happens when someone doesn't get a male siamese neutered young enough and he starts impregnating the local females.  Some siamese patter cats will pop up when his grandchildren are produced, and if the cats he bred with had white bits so might they.

Lots of grooming is the main thing you can do, to get the shed fur out.  You might need to use a slicker or similar to really get through her coat.  Google 'slicker brush for cats' and you will see what I mean.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take the vet's idea of what she might be with a very big pince of salt - most vets have very little idea about different breeds of cats.  
Very much agreed. One of the vets I visited seriously asked me if Tomu (my Scottish Fold with folded ears) is an European Shorthair, she also though Kuura (black silver shaded British Shorthair) is a Burmese.
 Several vets have also though that Utu (British Longhair) is Persian, but the breed at least does have a slight resemblance to a very poor pet quality Persians or a Persian mix moggie...

Unless the vet is a cat breeder or goes to shows, do not trust their ability to guess what breed a cat is.

The OP's black kitty looks like a shorthair to me. One good indicator is ear tufts. Pretty much all longhairs have long ear tufts that clearly grow out of the ears. (Same thing with toe tufts, and they really need to be long).

Here's a comparison to clarify:

Utu (looking very cheerful...
) with long ear tufts

Kuura showing his short ear tufts (ear tips also not groomed for show purposes here)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
in my last photos she actually has longer hair in her ears... She's not a long hair. I don't think anyone would say that. Actually yeah she had a bombay cat herself. She said it looked like one of her bombay cats. Then I asked her what type of coat she might have after her vaccinations and she said medium probably. When her fur is fluffy it looks more