Kittens and mother semi-seperation

mayapi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys,

I’m new here and would greatly appreciate your advice :)

A mother with 3 kittens showed up in our garden in March and we decided to take care of them, there is a local organization ‘cats aid’ and they will help us to find good homes for the kittens, we already have 3 cats and can only keep the mother (already sterilized her).

The kittens are now about 4-5 months old and we keep them inside as they not sterilized yet, and they need to learn that people can be good before going to forever homes, learn to use litter box etc.

We are feeding mother, she is staying outside, and she sleeps sometimes during the day in the kitchen and kittens stay upstairs in the room while she is in the house or doors are op. She is not looking for them anymore and they are not crying for her - they are inside around 23 days now.

Now it's summer, so there is no problem, but if nobody will adopt them before winter I would like to take mother inside. We live in Ireland and autumn is not that cold.

I know that cats will not recognized each other after separation, I guess that depends on each cat how much time needs.

My question is - would this be good idea for them to see each other after 3 months and then when we find homes to separate them again?

I’m not sure if they can smell mother when they go downstairs or see each other through the glass doors during the night. They not separated by miles.

Thank you for your thoughts on this :)

Best Regards

Maya

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They will probably no longer recognize their mother if they've not seen her for three months.

If you want to bring mom in, do so. Let her get acclimated to the house for a couple of days before re-introducing her to the kittens. Hopefully they will all get along.

When kittens are re-homed they initially miss their litter mates, their mom, their humans, and their environment, but they soon enough forget and adjust. The longer they stay together the greater the bond and the more they will miss one another, but cats are re-homed all the time and most adjust fine after a time with proper love and care.

I don't think that the possibility of re-homing the kittens should keep you from bringing the mom inside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mayapi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mayapi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You're welcome :). Hope all goes well for you! Let us know if you have further questions!