Kittens and mom are skinny?

thejewelrybox1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,
My cat had 4 kittens 3 weeks ago. They're walking and playing just fine. My only concern is that my cat and 2 babies are looking skinny. They nurse all the time and my cat always has access to food and I feed her wet everyday several times a day. They have fleas and I think that's the problem. I bathed my queen, and even the kittens (with just water) I flea comb them everyday and I changed their bedding. What gives?! I treated my other cat with a generic form of frontline but I was reluctant to put any on the queen because I don't want to damage the kits but frankly, I'm worried and frustrated. Help?

reigninseattle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The nursing cat can safely be treated with most flea products, my vet even said it is ok while pregnant too. She said there is one product that hasn't been tested on pregnant/nursing queens, but I can't remember which one it is. Frontline and Revolution are definitely safe. Just to be safe, take the mom away and put the flea product on her, then wait till it's dry to put her back with the kittens. There are also some sprays that you can use on the furniture/carpet.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kittens could be washed in dawn dish detergent gently and dried well after this will help kill alot of the fleas. Treat the mom then bath the kittens

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree with both posters above.

Just the little "most flea products" is to overdo a little.  Some flea products arent safe, especielly many of these sold OTC.'

But it is true, many products are OK, usually these made by big or wellknown factories producing also human medicines, and or medicines vets and animal hospitals use, these are usually safe: they dont afford to make bad products it would destroy their image. They have resources to test out,  AND they do have good quality control, no bad batches or something.

Good luck!

reigninseattle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just the little "most flea products" is to overdo a little.  Some flea products arent safe, especielly many of these sold OTC.
You are right, I guess I was kind of unclear, I do apologize. I wouldn't use an OTC flea product, they are not regulated very well so they may be unsafe, plus they don't really work. I would use Revolution or Advantage, Frontline is ok too but it doesn't seem to work very well IMO. I do apologize for the confusion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thejewelrybox1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. I used sentry fiprogaurd max on my male cat. They aren't clear as to whether or not it's ok on queens so I am hesitant. I bathed the kits in warm water and flea combed them to no avail (this was after I bathed the mom with baby shampoo and combed her) I just don't know what to do now!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you should have some mild soap / mild shampoo with the kittens too.  Its the shampo /soap which makes the fleas to drown.  Our US forumites use Dawn fluid soap, but I suppose most mild soaps should do.