Purraise
It might be a reaction to havinf kittens

Be careful not to get too hot it dangerus foe the kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hope724

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: There are still only five and we called the vet. They recommended we bring her in right away. I really hope she is okay. I will update once we know if anything is wrong.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bring all her kittens with her, including the 2 the sister cat "borrowed". Hope everything is okay. And when you get home, fix up a nice, clean and dry nest for mom and kittens.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay I let the other cat in and she seems to just want to groom the mother who is currently giving birth. They are sisters so they are close. All three kittens are nursing except for one small one who nurses moves and cries, and then nurses again. She just had a fourth as I was typing this.
THIS kitten you must watch out extra for.   This behavior may be alarming, the kitten possibly too weak to suckle properly.   In such cases its necessary to supplement it with a syringe.

Good kmr KMR brand is best, or goat milk.   Weight every 12 hours so you see it gains.

If in doubt, do supplement  (but be sure you know how to do it, clumsy feeding is dangerous).

The momma is apparently now well, an ASAP vet errand.  But I see you had already contacteed the vet, and are going with her in to visit.   I suspect you are in there as I write this.

Vibes send!

Good luck!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bring all her kittens with her, including the 2 the sister cat "borrowed". Hope everything is okay. And when you get home, fix up a nice, clean and dry nest for mom and kittens.
Im not sure its necessary to bring all the kittens in.  Unless for company to the mom, so she dont get nervous missing them.

Perhaps bring in that one who seems weak.  Be sure it it warm though. 

Observe, many vets arent really good with small, weak kittens.   They are better with apparently sick moms, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hope724

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet took xrays and momma is all good. There are five little kittens sleeping in a box upstairs. Momma seems to be feeding them a little but better after getting settled down, but im going to start keeping track of all the kittens weights. Thank you so much for all the help!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Tx for the report.  Im happy it was better with the mom than it seemed to be.   Teh visit to the vet was a cheap life insurance here.

Now I can go and sleep in peace, tx to this good report.

Please continue with reports, and questions as soon as they arise.

Good luck!