kittens 4 weeks and 4 days old

catdad1953

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have found 5 kittens they are 4 weeks and about 4 days old they are eating kitten chow and wet kitten food. The mother is still around and nursing. I have put the kittens in an enclosure on our patio. To keep them safe and out of the weather. Should I let mom in and keep the top open for her?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We have found 5 kittens they are 4 weeks and about 4 days old they are eating kitten chow and wet kitten food. The mother is still around and nursing. I have put the kittens in an enclosure on our patio. To keep them safe and out of the weather. Should I let mom in and keep the top open for her?
Yes, if you dont want to take yourself full charge, its best to let the mom in too.
Is it possible to have her indoors so to speak? You dont want she carries them away into the wild, now when they are rescued....
They will prob survive with momma, but their fate will prob be homeless semiferales....

Its almost always a big advantage to have momma, if she is cooperative. And surprising often, they are, if you are gentle and respectful. Its not sure you will manage to foster the momma, but you should be able to foster the kittens.

The other big variation; you take over the charge yourself 100%. Shouldnt be too difficult, when they eat themselves and even eat wet cat food.
This way, taken in now,, they will be easy to foster and socialize in full, and being fully socialized kittens, they will be fairly easy to adopt out (be sure the adopter gives a adoption fee, so to screen out weirdos. If it feels embarrassing to ask money, lot the adopter donate to some charity, IN THE CATS NAME).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, let mom in but not out. She needs spaying soon or she will be pregnant with another litter. Since the kittens are weaning, mom can be spayed anytime now and still nurse.

Thank you for caring for this little family!