Kitten worries

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no.  Did you have a second round of dewormers?  Sometimes the cats that have been living outside need more than one round of dewormers.  Is your vet open on Saturday?  I would call and check with them.  Take in a stool sample so they can check. 

I would think it's too soon to know it it's IBD. 

Stay calm.  Just be sure she is hydrated and lay off the food until you talk to the vet. 

Have you posted over in the Health forum?  You might get some help there too.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you. Stupidly, it hadn't occurred to me to post in the health forum. She's only had one round of wormer. I'll give the vets a call and see what they think. At least the diarrhoea isn't as bad as before. She'd made a mess with it (vetbed, blanket, toy as well as litter tray). Mum was the one who found it. She said it wasn't liquid like before, but the texture of softly whipped cream (sorry for graphic details btw). Asha was very hungry at breakfast, but hasn't bugged me for food since then. She's clearly not feeling quite herself.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, vets appointment is made for Asha now.

On a different note, I nearly had a disaster tonight!

I'd forgotten to shut the door to Asha's room...she was asleep on the upper level and I was on the lower level. Shadow came up to use his litter box, and when he'd finished he saw the door was open. He's been wanting to get in there for days. I think he's aware there's a new cat about and is curious. Anyway, he saw his chance and was halfway up the ladder before I could grab him! I ended up grabbing his haunches -he kept trying to climb but was kept in place like a cartoon cat :lol3:

I eventually got hold of him properly and removed him. He was in such a mood with me after...wouldn't speak to me until I gave him a plate of chicken :winkblue: Bribery works every time :)

I do kind of wonder what would've happened if I hadn't intervened though...

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Asha.  I just saw your post in the Health section.  I hope you can get a diagnosis tomorrow.  Let me know how it goes and what you find out.

I had many close calls when introducing my cats before they had really come face to face. 

One time, we were away for Thanksgiving.  I had a pet sitter coming to feed all of the cats.  Marvin was in his room with the door closed the entire weekend.  I had gate in the door way so the pet sitter could get in and out.  She closed the gate, but some how the bottom pet door got open.  Marvin took off.  She had no idea where he went and could not find him.  I told her to grab my other cat and shut him my sons room.  When we returned a few hours later, we couldn't find either cat.  Finally after searching, both cats had ended up in my sons room under the bed.  They were side by side together.  I think they were both too afraid to move.  I was so worried something had happened that would cause a major set back, but in the end I think it might have been good for them!!! 

Any way accidents will happen.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: at Marvin's close encounter!
Shadow didn't seem fussed as he climbed the ladder. I have a hunch that all would've been fine, but I wasn't prepared to take the risk, especially before we find out what's going on with Asha. I've no idea if she even knew how close he came!

She's been less and less herself as the day's gone on. Ate breakfast hungrily , but didn't eat very much again until half an hour ago (it's 9 pm here now). Funny girl didn't want chicken breast, but was very happy to eat the plain chicken version of the food I told you about before! (I've bought up the entire towns supply of the chicken and pumpkin version! I've more on order but it won't be here till tomorrow or Wednesday )

She's stretched out full length on the floor at the moment...no chairs up here but she's usually sharing the big (silk!..spoilt cat or what ;) )cushion with me or else on top of the crate on in her bed. :sigh: Hope it's something straightforward, like malnutrition plain and simple. It's amazing the havoc that can wreak by itself :(

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The poop sample wasn't good enough. Will be taking another later from (hopefully) a bigger poop do I can get a 'clean' sample. Taking urine sample too. Her glands are up. Been told to starve her until tomorrow breakfast. Not at all happy about it. Vet had trainee in with her and was harder to talk to than usual. Been crying about the whole thing. I do trust that vet (one of the two best cat vets in the practice), but don't feel right not feeding Asha. Wrote more in the health forum. Don't know what to do :( :sigh:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vet probably wants to give her digestive system a chance to rest without food causing more inflammation.  I know it will be really hard.  Just try to distract her with lots of love.  Hopefully she will poop again soon and you can get the sample right to them. 

I know what a worry this is. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you. It's just hard...especially knowing how thin she was at the start. I can't get the sensation of holding a warm furry skeleton out of my head, even though she's so much better than she was in that respect.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  Many are the cat and child parents who share your worries.  Aasha is in good hands with you!!!  So many problems manifest themselves in the cats' digestive systems,  including giardia and IBS. My vet suggests Imodium for diarrhea but I seem to have the best results with Pet Pectillin (sold at the feed store) which is a pectin-kaolin blend, much like the old-formula for Kaopectate ( WARNING to whoever reads this: the CURRENT formula of Kaopectate is dangerous to cats!!
 )  And yes, it is so difficult to stop feeding them.  You could also ask your vet about using unflavored Pedialyte (you can make a homemade version, but the commercially prepared formulas contain supposedly more-easily-absorbed active ingredients) to keep Asha more hydrated while providing calories to keep her weight up.  I hope that she regains her health quickly!!!! 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:D I can't believe what's just happened. I was stroking Asha and she kept rolling over onto her back and stretching and.....she let, even asked, me to stroke her tummy!!!!! I can't believe it. That's such a level of trust that I didn't ever expect to have from her. :D :clap: :heart2: :jive: :wow: :woohoo:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't believe what's just happened. I was stroking Asha and she kept rolling over onto her back and stretching and.....she let, even asked, me to stroke her tummy!!!!! I can't believe it. That's such a level of trust that I didn't ever expect to have from her.
She knows she's got it good with you!!!  That is a trust for sure!!!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
More progress today :D Asha went to sleep cuddling my hand, then shifted slightly to get a tummy rub from me again :heart3:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Quick update - Asha's settled in really well. Her injuries have healed and the fur's growing back nicely. Her weight is where it should be now, she's back to full health and....she's getting spayed next Wednesday :D

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Quick update - Asha's settled in really well. Her injuries have healed and the fur's growing back nicely. Her weight is where it should be now, she's back to full health and....she's getting spayed next Wednesday
Such good news!!!  So glad she can be spayed quickly too!!!  I am sure she is a wonderful addition to your home!  She seems to be settling in very well. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't imagine being without her now. She's a real mummy's girl, and tends to follow me everywhere (except downstairs...she's still unsure there. It's no bad thing - we essentially have an upstairs cat and a downstairs cat!).

She's currently curled up asleep on my bed after a serious sunbathing session (my bedroom is a sun trap in the afternoons).